how to get headlights to turn off

ravinlun
03-21-2006, 12:16 AM
I have a 99 silverado z71 and when you crank up truck the headlights automaticlly turn on. The only way I know to keep headlights from coming on is to have emergency brake set. Anyone know of another way. I have heard the later year models you could hit the override but twice and they would go off. Any help?

pnewcomb1
03-21-2006, 12:27 AM
...i think you have to poke that button 4x in rapid succession. You should hear the chimes. To go back to auto lights...do the same thing again.

chuck16
03-21-2006, 01:02 AM
...i think you have to poke that button 4x in rapid succession. You should hear the chimes. To go back to auto lights...do the same thing again.

Actually doesn't work on a 99'. Because we have the Automatic headlights with no override there is no way to do with "stock". I wired a 1.5KOhm resistor across the light sensor wires that feed the BCM and tied it to a switch so I can have full auto, for when the wife uses the truck, or manual control if I wanna cruise around with just my courtesy lights on or everything off except the drls.
I think if you do a search for headlight mod or something it will come up with it if not let me know and I'll post the simple diagram that I did for this mod. It's actually pretty easy once you understand it...

pnewcomb1
03-21-2006, 09:50 AM
See...just goes to show ya how confused I get. I didn't realize there was that difference in the 99 to 00. Thanks, I learned something new again today, and it will undoubtedly prove to be useful in the future!

silverado122775
03-21-2006, 10:22 AM
I know for the 00 and later, you hit the override button 3 times quickley.. I do it all time when I want to sneak around in the dark :)

ravinlun
03-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the info I will do some research on the headlight mod as well.

mikethehammer
03-21-2006, 11:10 AM
all you have to do is find two bad light bulbs and put them in, one went out on mine. my buddy had one out on his so i gave him my good one for his bad one and no more daytime lights, works perfect

silverado122775
03-21-2006, 11:22 AM
all you have to do is find two bad light bulbs and put them in, one went out on mine. my buddy had one out on his so i gave him my good one for his bad one and no more daytime lights, works perfect
If you replace the daytime running lamps with the ambers bulbs, they will not burn out as much. I think they stay cooler.
When I had the factory bulbs in there, they would burn out every six months.. I replaced with amber bulbs and now they last for a couple of years

mikethehammer
03-21-2006, 11:25 AM
If you replace the daytime running lamps with the ambers bulbs, they will not burn out as much. I think they stay cooler.
When I had the factory bulbs in there, they would burn out every six months.. I replaced with amber bulbs and now they last for a couple of years

he was wanting the daytime lights to stay OFF. as was i

chuck16
03-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Here is the bypass for the Automatic Headlights.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/gallery/albums/userpics/26892/aheadwiring.jpg

As for the DRL's, aside from pushing your e-brake down a touch or pulling the DRL Relay; I'm not too sure...

777stickman
03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Do not pull the relay for the DRL's as the low beams go through that relay. Pull the DRL/FOG fuse in the instrument panel fuse block. It's the 3rd row down and the 3rd one back from the front. Pulling this fuse will disable the DRL's but not the DRL indicator in the dash............Steve

TexasF355F1
03-21-2006, 10:25 PM
he was wanting the daytime lights to stay OFF. as was i
No, he specifically mentions headlights. Pointing to the fact he said the only way to keep them off is with the e-brake on.

777stickman
03-22-2006, 06:14 PM
A point of clarification. On the '99 and older (old body style) the low beam headlights are the DRL's with the headlight switch off. On '99 and up (new body style) the DRL's are a seperate light in the grill. I'm almost sure he's got an old body style since he's talking about the headlights, but since we haven't heard any more we may never know........Steve

ravinlun
03-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Well just a clarification on what I was asking. (It appears chuck16 and his diagram is what I was looking for). But anyway I have a new body style 99 silverado 4wd extended cab with all the bells and whistles. There is no way to turn off the headlights at night and be able to drive the truck (you know if you want to go into stealth mode, haha). The only way I can turn off the headlights at all at night is to set the emergency brake before starting the truck. Even after the truck is started and I set the parking brake the headlights stay on. So that is one of my many problems that led me to you guys and your knowlegable forum, and again thanks for all the info from everyone.

jeverett
03-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Just do what chuck said and it will work fine. Or you can do it w/o the switch and have total control over the lights as I did.

As for the DRL relay running the low beams, thas bullshit as I pulled mine 2 months after I got the truck and my headlights have never failed me.

777stickman
03-24-2006, 09:11 PM
As for the DRL relay running the low beams, thas bullshit as I pulled mine 2 months after I got the truck and my headlights have never failed me.

Well, BS? That must be true because you said so!!! However on '99 old body style and older with DRL's I challenge you to take the relay out and see if the low beams come on. When they don't I hope you have room to stuff your remark WTSDS.............Steve

silverado122775
03-26-2006, 01:12 AM

Well, BS? That must be true because you said so!!! However on '99 old body style and older with DRL's I challenge you to take the relay out and see if the low beams come on. When they don't I hope you have room to stuff your remark WTSDS.............Steve

I agree with Stickman.. the older body styles use the low beam as the DRL. The 99 and up (new body style) have a separate lamp for that.. I know.. because I have a 2000 Silverado.

chuck16
03-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I was thinking of using Diodes to make the DRL's come on with the Headlights. So that when the headlights are on the DRL's are on as well. I know there is a really complicated procedure on here somewhere but there should be a simple one somewhere too.????

jeverett
03-27-2006, 08:52 AM

As you may have noticed, this is the NBS Silverado forum. My comment is completely true for the 99+ nbs. I am assuming he's talking about a NBS, b/c he said the HEADlights come on automatically and won't go off which is typical for a 99 nbs Silverado. I won't comment on something I have no idea about, which would be the DRL's on a CK 1500.

I sir, challenge you to pull the DRL relay out of the vehicle he's talking about. When the low beams do work, you may use them to see your way around WTSDS.

This was about headlights anyhow, not DRLs.

01silverado03z400
03-27-2006, 06:26 PM
i have a 2001 but hitting the override button rapidly doesnt turn off any of my lights??

silverado122775
03-28-2006, 02:36 PM
i have a 2001 but hitting the override button rapidly doesnt turn off any of my lights??

Is that a question or a statement?

pushing the override button 3 times will override the automatic headlights.. at least until you take the key out. then it defaults to automatic again.

01silverado03z400
03-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Sorry it was a question... ive tried many times to turn off my automatic headlights by pressing the override button 3 times but they always stay on. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

silverado122775
03-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Sorry it was a question... ive tried many times to turn off my automatic headlights by pressing the override button 3 times but they always stay on. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

When you push the override button, does your dome light turn off and stay off when you open the door? if it does not, then you may have a switch problem

01silverado03z400
03-29-2006, 02:23 PM
When you push the override button, does your dome light turn off and stay off when you open the door? if it does not, then you may have a switch problem

The dome light turns off and stays off when i push override. Any other ideas?

silverado122775
03-29-2006, 08:37 PM
The dome light turns off and stays off when i push override. Any other ideas?

Not sure.. It could be a relay that is out. check all your fuses.

01silverado03z400
03-29-2006, 11:24 PM
It's not that big of a deal for now. I'll check the fuses and everything else when I'm bored and have nothing to do.

chevy00
03-31-2006, 03:20 PM
i believe if the truck was made in canada this will not work. my 00 silv LT was made in canada and registered there and this option does not work. do a search in this forum and see. i think i read it in here somewhere

Add your comment to this topic!