Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Speedometer

MeNBabyD
03-20-2006, 05:44 PM
have a 04 5.7 hemi Ram.. first problem ive had with it is the speedometer.. going homea couple weeks ago during the city it was fine (under 45 mph) but when i got up on it getting onto the freeway it shot to 80 then back to 20 mph and kept twitching between the two all the way home (approx 55 miles) next day and a couple weeks no problems or twitches.... just happened to go into dealership yesterday for a spare key and i asked them about it.. mechanic said all was good under the hood and said that if it does it again that i would need to replace the dash because its a sealed kit :screwy: i could understand the instrument panel being a sealed unit being all electric but not the entire dash... and yes i did ask him again and it was confirmed the whole dash... has anyone else had this issue or know of any other options or tests to find another solution?!?!?!? Would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks everyone!

tony36
03-20-2006, 10:34 PM
There is a chance it could be your speed sensor at the tranny. I checked my 03 manual and as I suspected, it is not a sealed unit. Go onto the free manual download on this page and they have one for 04 if you want to double check. Is this under warranty? We had a GM dealership that lost their rights to work on Hummers due to none required parts replacement, and making the bucks from the manufacturer. It is happening alot across the nation. If they try to scam the manuf. they will try to scam the customer also. If you can, check around. If it is the cluster, it's a snap to change, if it's the sensor, even easier.

stanton21
03-25-2006, 04:38 PM
High speed in the trans low speed is in the pig on the top,,Had same problem....12 dollor part and 5 mins 0f work

sneakybert
03-26-2006, 11:01 PM
The speed sensor for a 2004 DR is in the rear differential and is bussed to the instrument cluster through the anti lock brake controller .

Add your comment to this topic!