Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS error code help

dwarmbrodt
03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I am looking into buying a '98 Century, but it has an ABS light on. I took it to a shop and the code is 1246, rear ABS channel wil not move. Big problem? Is this the kiss of death as far as repair cost? Thanks in advance!

maxwedge
03-20-2006, 05:43 PM
False codes are easy to read with some scanners, it should be driven with an abs function scanner to look at and compare wheel speeds, it is possible it needs a wheel speed sensor.

BNaylor
03-21-2006, 01:08 AM
It looks like a real code Max. It is consistent with a GM ABS Mark VI system for a "W" body car. It is not wheel speed sensor but a rear channel fault. I've seen the problem before and normally it is a bad ABS motor pack.

maxwedge
03-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Bob, not that this is the case, but using a Snappy scanner I have had multiple codes for the abs when the lite was on ,followed the trouble tree for the codes, no fix, somehow the scanner set these codes when it was a speed sensor, so now I always road test first looking at comparative wheel sensor inputs to be sure I am on the right track.

dwarmbrodt
03-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks, guys. This sounds like a dealer only repair? Cost estimate?

BNaylor
03-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Bob, not that this is the case, but using a Snappy scanner I have had multiple codes for the abs when the lite was on ,followed the trouble tree for the codes, no fix, somehow the scanner set these codes when it was a speed sensor, so now I always road test first looking at comparative wheel sensor inputs to be sure I am on the right track.

Yeah, I've noticed discrepancies with so called ABS capable scanners and what the real error code is. It will have you chasing your tail. Normally the only other codes when you get a rear channel ABS fault is actual ABS fault light being on which is 1286. Rear channel failure is detected at ABS intialization and no car movement is necessary.

The only valid ABS codes for a GM "W" body car are what is contained in the GM service manual. A lot of them do not match up to a Snappy scanner database or other ABS capable scanners.

The possible defective parts specificed for this type of failure is the ABS motor pack or ECBM module per GM.

dwarmbrodt
03-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the comments. Can someone tell me where the ABS motor pack is located?

BNaylor
03-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the comments. Can someone tell me where the ABS motor pack is located?

It is all part of the ABS Modulator Assembly. It should be located under the master cylinder on the driver's side of the engine compartment. It is that square object with all the brake lines feeding into and out if it. Also has an electrical connector plug on it.

Frank Brady
03-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Had a similar problem with my "92 Park Ave... Solved it with a 2" piece of electrical tape, placed over the light on the dash. Inspection guys don't see it, so no problem. Good luck

BNaylor
03-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Had a similar problem with my "92 Park Ave... Solved it with a 2" piece of electrical tape, placed over the light on the dash. Inspection guys don't see it, so no problem. Good luck

Thats an interesting fix. :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!