'97 Windstar transmission problems

williamrobert
03-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Hello,
These problems are on my car with 230k miles. A $1500 repair bill is out of the question for me right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The overdrive light flashes constantly.
The car will shift from first until it is warmed up, then will not shift from first after slowing or stopping.I changed the fluid and found it to be clean-looking. There was no major dirt or pieces of anything in the pan.

Also, after reading some other posts here, I took off the intermediate servo to inspect the seals. They seemed ok, they were not cracked or brittle.

A code scannner showed VSS and Trans Range Selector.

williamrobert
03-20-2006, 11:08 PM
bump

williamrobert
03-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Hello,
These problems are on my car with 230k miles. A $1500 repair bill is out of the question for me right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The car will shift from first until it is warmed up, then will not shift from first after slowing or stopping.I changed the fluid and found it to be clean-looking. There was no major dirt or pieces of anything in the pan.

Also, after reading some other posts here, I took off the intermediate servo to inspect the seals. They seemed ok, they were not cracked or brittle.

bump

williamrobert
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Help! Help! Anyone please!

Hello,

joeuser742
03-21-2006, 11:27 PM
I have a similar problem, but haven't totally fixed it yet. Commonly the transmission range sensor goes bad. Also, what helped me was changing the fluid, filter, and the intermediate servo piston seal, but I didn't get all the fluid out and have to do it again the right way.

DMS825
03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Before spending $1500, try replacing the transmission range selector aka neutral safety switch - autozone $24.99 part # F428. For installation instructions pick up a Haynes manual at the same time.

Blue Bowtie
03-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Before spending $1500, try replacing the transmission range selector aka neutral safety switch - autozone $24.99 part # F428. For installation instructions pick up a Haynes manual at the same time.

I'll second that notion.

You may want to read this thread before you get too far along:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=535091

williamrobert
03-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks folks,

With your suggestions, I have been able to get the tranmission to shift fairly normally.

I replaced the:

transmission range switch ($25 @ Autozone, 1 hour job)
the intermediate servo o-rings ($20 @ Ford, 1 hour job)
Vehicle speed sensor ($16 @ Autozone, 7 hour job). I would gladly pay the $100 that Cottman wanted if I had it to do again.Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!