Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Let's try this again

1998sls
03-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Posted this a little while back but have better info this time. Shortly after buying a 1998 Jimmy SLS, started getting a buzzing static noise coming from the front speakers while running. Only seems to do it during engine load at low RPM. Usally louder when it is damp out or raining. Not really there at idle but shows up when shifted into drive or reverse and when hitting the gas a little in park or neutral, also maked a short burst just after the engine is turned off(as the motor comes to rest). I have checked the grounds I can find and replaced the cap, rotor, wires and plugs and didn't make a difference. I would appreciate any help sine this has been bugging the hell out of me for the past 5 months.

excheezhead
03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
this may not sound techy, but have you checked the speaker itself to see if screws are loose or if it is cracked, the cover is or something small is rattling in it, as the same thing happened to me.

:2cents:

1998sls
03-24-2006, 06:11 PM
I tried the loose cover idea, but unfortunately it did not do anything for me( noise is still there) I also found that it has nothing to do with the speaker since the noise was still there with the speaker unplugged and removed. It seems to be coming from the area behind the gauge cluster and I wonder if anyone could tell me what is behind there(aside from ALL that ductwork they crammed in) Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I can get rid of this annoyance.

excheezhead
03-24-2006, 07:12 PM
I tried the loose cover idea, but unfortunately it did not do anything for me( noise is still there) I also found that it has nothing to do with the speaker since the noise was still there with the speaker unplugged and removed. It seems to be coming from the area behind the gauge cluster and I wonder if anyone could tell me what is behind there(aside from ALL that ductwork they crammed in) Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I can get rid of this annoyance.

with key on, but engine not running, and the heat/a/c fan in the OFF position, is the sound still there, if not, with heat/a/c to vent, turn fan on to 1,2,3,4 one at a time, if sound is there and changes with fan speed, bad fan. if that does not work, start engine and see if it is the tachometer, if it is there only when movin, could be speedo.

i just went back to your original complaint, and it might not hurt to get under the passenger side when exhaust and engine are cold and see if catylitic converter shield is loose, or rattling, or in that area, those sounds can carry and sound like they come from 1-2 ft away. 0n my brand new 01 jimmy after about 10,000 mi's, there was a buzzing, sound like the dash or the glove box. took it to a dealer under warranty 3 times and they couldn't find anything wrong. after 10,000 i started changing my own oil and greasing the front end and just by accident found that the factory joe six-pack when he put the exhaust in, the cat and muffler were just close enough, when the engine was warm, made the shield rattle in the bracket, got out the tools, banged here tightened there, bent this and that, and problem gone.
hope you find it, nothing drives me more crazy than a rattle/squeek that can't be found.
keep at, it will reveal itself when the trucks zen feels your karma is ready!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!