Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 SXT NEON possible bent frame

miketek903
03-19-2006, 01:01 AM
Hi, I have been needing a second vehicle but unable to afford car payments. I learned about this guy in Houston who owns a body shop, he buys salvaged cars from auctions, fixes then then sells to general public. He has a 2004 Dodge SXT Neon with only 8600 miles that has a salvaged title, he is willing to sell it to me for around $4800.00 after he repairs it. It has been in an accident and is banged up in the front drivers side, I have photos of it. The guy says it may have a slightly bent frame but says he has a frame straightener and that he could fix it right and should not have any problems
My questions is, I am wondering if there is an expert out there that may have some experience in frame straightning and if I should go for it. Some people that I know say not to but then some says that as long as I am going to keep the car and not resell it, it may be fine for a work car. What do you think?

das2123
03-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Frame damage is bad and if you are ever in an accident with that car, don't expect it to hold up as the original. Another thing you might want to consider is the insurance on a salvage titled car. It may or may not be higher. If you just want a work car, then go to the Houston Auto Auction on Wed or Sat and get you a cheap car.

neon_rt
03-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Neons don't have "Frames" as such, they are unibody, it is like an eggshell, the body provides the strength of the car and there are subframes welded to the front and back to attach the suspension to. If the unibody is bent, it's strength can never be recovered (even by straightening it). If in fact the unibody is compromised and if you get in a wreck the car will colapse around the area that was damaged and there is a increased chance someone will pay the price with their life. Many times the rides quality and ability to hold a wheel alignment becomes a problem. The car may creak and groan when going over bumps and it may also eat tires. My wifes Grandma bought a Subaru wagon that had been repaired and "straightened" it did OK for about a year and then the doors started having problems opening and closing and it started eating tires, about one set of 80K mile tires every 15K miles. When she took it to the alignment shop they said they couldn't adjust it far enough to align b/c the body was sagging in the middle due to an apparent wreck.
Your $4800 would be better spent almost anywhere else than a wrecked and salvaged Neon.

miketek903
03-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Neons don't have "Frames" as such, they are unibody, it is like an eggshell, the body provides the strength of the car and there are subframes welded to the front and back to attach the suspension to. If the unibody is bent, it's strength can never be recovered (even by straightening it). If in fact the unibody is compromised and if you get in a wreck the car will colapse around the area that was damaged and there is a increased chance someone will pay the price with their life. Many times the rides quality and ability to hold a wheel alignment becomes a problem. The car may creak and groan when going over bumps and it may also eat tires. My wifes Grandma bought a Subaru wagon that had been repaired and "straightened" it did OK for about a year and then the doors started having problems opening and closing and it started eating tires, about one set of 80K mile tires every 15K miles. When she took it to the alignment shop they said they couldn't adjust it far enough to align b/c the body was sagging in the middle due to an apparent wreck.
Your $4800 would be better spent almost anywhere else than a wrecked and salvaged Neon.

Ok I understand what you are saying but it is a possibility that your wifes grandma's Subaru was not properly straightened? and I have heard that when the frame is not properly fixed then yes you could have big problems later in years. I guess thats the chance I have to take. Anyway the Body shop told me he gaurantees his work. Thanks for your comment.

das2123
03-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Anyway the Body shop told me he gaurantees his work. Thanks for your comment.So if you get hurt do to the "straightening of the frame" is he going to give you your money back and pay for the hospital stay? That would be a guarantee!

Add your comment to this topic!