Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amp inside box??

OffRoadSonoma
03-19-2006, 12:59 AM
I have an extended cab s-10 and am going to be building my new box. I'm looking around 6ft^3 so it doesn't leave me with much room behing the seat. So I was thinking about bundleing the power, ground and remote and just running them through the box and mounting the amp inside the box to save on space and look cleaner. So I pretty much just wanna know if this will damage the speaker or amp or if it will be more likely to overheat. So far the amp barely gets warm to the touch and I push it pretty hard, but then again it is 20 degrees outside. So do you guys think that will work or should I mount it somewhere else?

sr20de4evr
03-19-2006, 01:13 AM
I think it would be much easier to just mount the amp under the driver or passenger seat and run the cables there then to try to do all of the work necessary to run a large power cable through the enclosure wall without leaks.

dave92cherokee
03-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Another thing to think about is if you do mount it inside the box how will you adjust the gains and other controls on the amp when you need to. Besides that if it's a sealed enclosure there will be no air movement inside the box allowing the amp AND sub to get extremely hot, even if the box is ported there will still be minimal air movement by the amp and it will still likely overheat. Like sr20 said mount it under one of the front seat if that won't work then build a panel for it to mount to in place of one of the back flip down seats on the side.

PaulD
03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
putting the amp inside the box is not really a workable solution ...... as stated above, the extra heat, inability to adjust and having to run wires into the box make it a VERY poor choice. I would mount it TO the box if you have to.

ngsm13
03-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Don't do it.

nG

OffRoadSonoma
03-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Looks like that settles that.

Add your comment to this topic!