Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vtec h22 head fit a h23 block

94 prelude si
03-19-2006, 12:46 AM
does a vtec h22 head fit a h23 block???

kris
03-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes, you will need to change a few things though.

1. VTEC head, complete: cams, gears, rockers, valve cover.
2. VTEC timing belt- VTEC has more teeth on the belt than the Si does.
3. VTEC water pump.
4. VTEC auto hydraulic tensioner for timing belt.
5. VTEC manual tensioner.
6. VTEC head gasket.
7. VTEC lower, most inner crankshaft pulley;
8. VTEC intake manifold
9. VTEC exhaust manifold - i couldnt find a used downpipe, dealer was $621, so i bought DC Headers-VTEC.
10. VTEC ECU/ECM.
11. VTEC spark plugs and wires.
12. VTEC water pump pipe (black pipe that runs behind the head from the water pump to thermostat housing.
*DISTRIBUTOR should be the sames, so it shouldnt need to be changed - double checked part numbers.
*VTEC controller - not required but could be used if you dont buy a new ECU/ECM and have a way to bypass your redline.

The reason for changing some of parts listed is because the VTEC timing belt has more teeth on it that the Si belt. Therefore you need to change everything that touches the timing belt such as the inner most crankshaft pulley, tensioners, and water pump- because you dont want to have to go back in there a few months down the road if it goes bad and starts leaking and open everything back up to change it. Change the lower balancer belt as well for the same reason as the water pump, however it does not need to be converted over to the VTEC part. The timing belt doesnt touch the balancer components on the lower block so nothing had to be modified with that, only what touches the timing belt.

gearnuts
04-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I agree with everything you said up there except for the auto tensioner. The auto tensioner that comes with the VTEC is known to give problems. And the solution is to use the manual tensioner from the H23. It works if you use a couple washers as spacers and such. There are write-ups all over the internet for it. Thats just my :2cents:

CivicSpoon
04-04-2006, 08:33 PM
^ I agree

pimprolla112
04-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Look on honda-tech theres a few wrietups on the h23/h22, and f-series blocks with h series heads. The h23/h22 combo is what im working on now proving a little tough but so far so good. Still need a damn head.

Add your comment to this topic!