Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Degreeing The Stock Cam on a SOHC ZC

blue92HB
03-18-2006, 11:44 AM
As the title states I am attempting to degree the cam on my SOHC ZC Vtec engine, but I cannot seem to find any specs for the cam. Any info would be great.

kris
03-18-2006, 01:33 PM
What do you mean by degree?

blue92HB
03-18-2006, 04:14 PM
To degree the camshaft is to insure that valve opening and closing events are in accordance with specifications. The actual opening and closing events are influenced by cam grind, belt stretch, and keyway position in the crank sprocket. What I am looking for is either cam lobe center line or degrees at which the intake and exhaust valves open and close at.

kris
03-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Makes a lot more sense that way. Just never heard of it called that before. Any factory service manual should have it. I dont have one sitting by more, I would check for you.

blue92HB
03-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I have checked the service manual at the local dealer for the spec's on an Si cam to see if they were the same and came up with nothing at all. The only manual that I would actually trust would be the Japanese manual for this engine. So far I have not found a single thing to help with the degreeing of the cam.

hxgaser
03-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I thought there was only one way that cam gear fits into the cam itself, you install it so that the key is aligned. As far as I am familiar with (which might not mean much) once you set TDC on no.1 piston, then your crank is set at the correct location for the timing belt installation. You just line up the reference markers.

Or are you asking about the actual cam lobe duration of your particular cam?

hxgaser
03-21-2006, 03:34 PM
I am not sure what the stock duration is, but check this out.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/honda-auto.html

The values noted above seem resonable considering crane cam's street perfromance cam has 10 mm intake lift for about the same duration. But a question... only way to change the duration is to either use adjustable cam gear, which is just changing timing or to regrind. Are you really going to regrind on your own?

Add your comment to this topic!