My Son Hit a Curb

SkinnerDFW
03-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi, 1999 Z-24 - This is where I am at now. My son hit a curb on the front right side and blew the tire out and took out a chunk of the rim (he must have hit the curb pretty hard). He bought 4 new rims and 4 new tires. The car was still pulling badly to the right and made a terrible road noise so we started off with the poor mans alignment check (with a tape measure) and it was pigeon toed by 1". So we started checking and found the front right strut to be bent. We then replaced both front struts. Put it back on the ground and drove it to get the tires straight and remeasured it was pigeon toed within 1/8 of an inch. (I think that is pretty close for a front wheel drive). So we went for a test drive the steering wheel is still not centered. Makes me think something else is still bent (yes I know it still needs a good alignment) It greatly improved the driving but it is still making a terrible road sound above 40 mph (like a tire out of balance without the shake). Is there something else that yall can think of that might have bent for I cant see anything out of the ordinary or anything that could bend easealy. If not what would be a better place to take the car to, a dealership, mechanic shop or a collision center. Thanks for reading this long description.
Steve and Cody

quake61
03-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi, 1999 Z-24 - This is where I am at now. My son hit a curb on the front right side and blew the tire out and took out a chunk of the rim (he must have hit the curb pretty hard). He bought 4 new rims and 4 new tires. The car was still pulling badly to the right and made a terrible road noise so we started off with the poor mans alignment check (with a tape measure) and it was pigeon toed by 1". So we started checking and found the front right strut to be bent. We then replaced both front struts. Put it back on the ground and drove it to get the tires straight and remeasured it was pigeon toed within 1/8 of an inch. (I think that is pretty close for a front wheel drive). So we went for a test drive the steering wheel is still not centered. Makes me think something else is still bent (yes I know it still needs a good alignment) It greatly improved the driving but it is still making a terrible road sound above 40 mph (like a tire out of balance without the shake). Is there something else that yall can think of that might have bent for I cant see anything out of the ordinary or anything that could bend easealy. If not what would be a better place to take the car to, a dealership, mechanic shop or a collision center. Thanks for reading this long description.
Steve and Cody

check the tie rod end. this is the piece that connects the steering to the wheel

also check the cv joint for bent,, remember that the cv joint must be precise in the inside bearings to turn smoothly if is bent it might make a noise or even shake the wheel

also check the control arm, if he hit the curb hard more than one thing can be bent

blackwidow98
04-10-2006, 02:01 AM
i did the same thing in my 98 RS ..... the day after my birthday too. turns out i blew a brand new tire... destroyed my rim and bent the lower control arm. i had that same noise....turned out to be the wheel bearings. you cant get just the bearing itself..it has to be the whole hub.that costs between 100 and 130 from autozone. also check the cv boot for and kind of hole or tear because that also happened when i hit the curb

Add your comment to this topic!