Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new crazy eBay record?

356speedster
03-16-2006, 05:54 AM
I think the 914 ZoomZoomMX-5 built (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=529483) must have ticked off a lot off builders who really wants to build the 914

Take a look at this auction: PRISTINE VINTAGE REVELL PORSCHE 914 MODEL KIT 1/25 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6042437172&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

That happy seller got 180$ for a simple Revell kit that usually sells for about 30$ !!! And its not even hard to find. The last months there's always been 2-3 kits available on eBay.

Sycope
03-16-2006, 06:15 AM
thats maddness some people really do have to much money.

Khier
03-16-2006, 07:13 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Holy crap, that's insane! I should be getting some sort of kickback from all those sellers now :icon16:

winstona
03-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Must be ZoomZoomMX-5's fault... :)

Ebay is a place where stuff goes to the highest bidder.

This usually happens when people are desperate for a birthday present or something...It happened to me before when I got desperate.

I don't think it will ever repeat.

Winston

DocDann
03-16-2006, 10:50 AM
It also comes down to a battle of ego's. People hate to "lose." Therfore, to "win" the item, they defy logic and forget the true value of the items.

flyonthewall
03-16-2006, 01:24 PM
I've got one of those. The kits sucks big time!

mike united
03-16-2006, 01:32 PM
It also comes down to a battle of ego's. People hate to "lose." Therfore, to "win" the item, they defy logic and forget the true value of the items.

Very true........!
Personally i think its sick, as in "vomit" sick, all that dough for a plastic model.
I mean, dont get me wrong, and i love my hobby etc but i can honestly say that there is'nt a single model out there that i'd give more than £20-£25 for, this purely because ITS NOT WORTH THE MONEY....:nono: ...!!!
Long live AF & car modeling...........:)
Mike.

blubaja
03-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Am I crazy as the only one who thinks you pay for what you want. And if you truly want something price doesn't matter. ? This thread osunds the complete opposite of poppopellos's civic.

elmankester
03-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Here in Argentina we have a bids site called Mercadolibre. There are lots of peple who bid and then don't buy the item. They just do that to make the seller pass a bad time....

356speedster
03-16-2006, 04:48 PM
I see nothing wrong in paying a little extra to get something you want, but paying 5-6 times more than "market price" for a kit that is not diffucult to find is just silly.

If the buyer had bothered to do a little research he could probably saved around 130$ - 150$. There are now 3 other Revell 914 kits on eBay in the pricerange 10 - 23$ and my guess is that they all go for 30$ - 50$

My advice when buying on eBay is to use a "sniper tool" like AuctionSniper and set a limit to how much you are willing to pay in good time before the auction ends, and let the "sniper" handle the bidding.

You might not win everytime but it feels better afterwards to have won a kit at a decent price, instead of sitting with a bad taste in your mouth after winning a kit "in the heat of the auction" for the price of 3-4 kits. But hey, thats just my opinion :-)

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-16-2006, 05:22 PM
It's merely a case of a buyer that wanted something bad enough to pay for it. He's been buying other Porsche items, and other 914 diecast models so he's probably pretty focused on getting what he wants now. Perhaps he's clueless as to what they're really worth. A friend sold a 3-car Porsche Exotics set including the 914 for only $35 a couple weeks ago.

Like any auction, the value is merely what someone is willing to pay at that very moment for that item. It's not a real trend when someone does this and everyone else pays a lot less. It just serves to show that some people will pay what they believe a fair price for something they really want. To a lot of people $180 isn't that big a deal. Especially for Porsche owners.

I'd never pay that kind of money for a model, but I'm not one of the clueless wonders that Ebay is famous for. I certainly hope people like him bid on my stuff :icon16:

73superduty
03-16-2006, 07:53 PM
The best thing about this is that anyone with that kit will be putting it on ebay. So nows the time to get yourself one.
I always bid what I feel I am comfortable with. As we all know, another one eventually arrives on ebay. Once the demand has been filled I usually end up getting a great deal on the item I have waited for. That's how I work it.
Chris

malscar
03-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Don't forget that it takes at least 2 people to bid to silly levels. Another silly ebay auction at the moment is a 'buy it now' for the Hasegawa 1995 Sweden Lancer with resin bits for $190. I bought one about 2 weeks ago for $15. Just do your research.

hirofkd
03-16-2006, 10:19 PM
I think you guys don't know the value of the kit. Collectors pay whatever they can spend to get what they want. We, the modelers, think the same 914 kit can be found in the 3 Porsche combo for around $30, but that's not the point. Those bidders know exactly what they're bidding on, and if it's sold at $180, the kit is now worth $180. That's still $50 cheaper than today's Model Factory Hiro resin kits, and most of Kojima's Ferrari kits were even more expensive than that.

Add your comment to this topic!