Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting Fender Flares

hx214
03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Anybody ever paint their fender flares? I have a 97 and my flares are ugly as sin. They are so faded it hurts to look at them. I use this Formula 2001 stuff on them and they stay black for about a week, but then they fade again. Anybody find anything else that works better? I don't really mind painting them, Im just afraid to paint them and have it peal all over the place. I had this paint before that bonded to plastic and it worked well, but Im not sure what kind of plastic the flares are made of so I dont know if it'll work. Im looking for someone that tried it before. I just dont want to buy new flares, they are expensive.... as you know. Thanks for any insight

wilwith1l
03-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Quadratec sells some stuff specifically for painting the flares.

hx214
03-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Hey thanks, I'll check them out.

csparks78
03-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Quadratec sells some stuff specifically for painting the flares.

Are you talking about that "forever black" stuff?? If you are I was thinking about getting it and I cant find it anywhere locally. Is it as good as they say or is it like any other vinyl/plastic protectant?? I went to AutoZone the other day and there is a plastic/bumper paint and I talked to the guy about it and he says he uses it on his flares but I'm not about to start "rattle canning" stuff on my Jeep

wilwith1l
03-20-2006, 09:53 AM
My buddy got somethin of quadratec, he did his before winter, and it still looks pretty good.

Scotts02
03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
I painted my flares with a 3 dollar can of black Rust-O-leum for Plastic back in October of 05 and to this day they look brand new. At first there was a little sheen but after a couple days in the sun, this all blended in nicely and to this day every one asks me how I keep my flares looking so good.
So far so good and I think after six months in the Eastern North Carolina weather they are holding up great. Looks like they were just done. This paint worked so great that I am going to use it to paint the plastic shutters on my house as well.

macdad626
03-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Its Kind Of Expensive But If You Want Them To Be Kick Ass I Would Get A Small Can Of Hurculiner And Paint Them With That. That Is What I Did To My Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares And They Will Stay Black Forever And They Are Tough As All Get Out. Just An Idea

csparks78
04-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey I know its kinda late but I went down to Checkers a couple days ago and got a can of flat black bumper paint by Dupli-color it was like $5 and took the flares off and painted them and they look brand new. I cant tell you how its going to hold up yet, but right now they look and feel original!!!

Add your comment to this topic!