Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question

Master01
03-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Do the regal GS's need premium to run, or can they use regular unleaded?
Thanks

BNaylor
03-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Due to the supercharger they require premium gas as specified by GM and the owner's manual. If you use regular, knock retard (KR) will be a problem. The PCM may retard timing due to detonation and there will be a loss of performance and fuel economy.

richtazz
03-16-2006, 03:24 PM
I agree Bob (fancy meeting you here, :iceslolan ). The trade off in fuel economy and performance far outweighs the advantgage of the cheaper per gallon fuel cost.

BNaylor
03-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I agree Bob (fancy meeting you here, :iceslolan ). The trade off in fuel economy and performance far outweighs the advantgage of the cheaper per gallon fuel cost.

I'm always here Rich. Goes with the territory of owning a few Regals. Helped a lot of people save money. BTW - Regals do have less problems than Grand Prixs. :rofl:

regalfriend
03-18-2006, 09:10 AM
My friend has a 98 GS and swears he can run 87 octane w/ no problems. He says as long as he doesnt punch it out or accelerate to hard it wont cause any problems. At this point i say he's driving a Regal LS with the option of punching it out and possibly blowing his motor. By me premium fuel costs about .20 cents more than regular. For 15 gallons thats $3 more per week. A small price to pay for piece of mind.

Add your comment to this topic!