Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Bravada Transmission code 1870 (am I getting ripped off?)

markht
03-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Hi all,

First post here, I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Bravada that I bought a couple of months back for $2500. I thought I was getting a good deal but it hasn't turned out quite so good.

Engine check light wasn't lit so I thought the car was running good, just an occasional clunk changing from 1st to 2nd.

Took the car for NJ inspection and it failed due to a 1870 engine code.

Went to the local dealer who hooked up to the computer and told me I needed a new transmission which would cost $2500, oh and by the way the check engine light assembly is missing so its another $200 to replace that.

Ok, so I was stupid and got ripped off by the previous owner removing the check engine light, but I need to do something about the 1870 code so I can get it past emissions inspection.

Looking at the FAQs I see that 1870 in a 96 bravada with a harsh 1-2 change is more likely to be valve body problem:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=461182

I don't know any trustworthy mechanics here in south NJ so I guess what I am asking is does this sound like a valve body problem rather than needing a news transmission and am I getting ripped off (again)?

Thanks for any help you can give :)

Chris Stewart
03-16-2006, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the site,
The P1870 DTC is a transmission component slippage issue. Do you have a super harsh 1-2 shift?

markht
03-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Welcome to the site,
The P1870 DTC is a transmission component slippage issue. Do you have a super harsh 1-2 shift?

Thanks for the reply Chris, I wouldn't describe it as harsh, maybe one time in ten there is a noticable clunk/jolt when it shifts from 1 to 2. No consistancy to it, sometimes it happens all the time for a few days other times there is nothing for a week or two.

Chris Stewart
03-16-2006, 04:56 PM
With what others have reported, it could be the valvebody issue.
You might pick out a few transmission shops then check with the Better Business folks to see if any of those have bad reps. If you know someone in a general repair shop, you might ask them who they trust, then back that up with the BBB check.
In defense of the trans shops...these transmission jobs are very time consuming and the mechanics have to be sent to schools regularily to keep up with new designs. Now pay them a wage and benefit package so they will stay and you've got some very serious overhead costs that keeps going up. A motor replacement w/warranty at a reputable shop is over $2000 so you can expect a trans job to be near that.
Now, if the motor is in good shape and your transmission is rebuilt w/new parts including Roostra brand shift solenoids, you should get years of good service. Don't go cheap on fuel or oil and keep a new battery in your Bravada.
Does your Bravada have a power lumbar support on the front seats? They are potential problem that you can address yourself.

Add your comment to this topic!