Possible bad fuel pump?

sheveman
03-15-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a 95 Jimmy with the 4.3 Vortech V6, and I just started having a problem with it the other day. It started to spit and sputter and act like it wants to stall, mostly at slow speed driving (like taking off from a traffic light)
but after feathering the gas pedal it eventually clears up and begins to run right. It has done this a couple of times at highway speed, but clears up after a couple of seconds.

Also it started intermittently starting hard. I have to try cranking it over 6-7 times before it starts but after it starts it will usually restart fine.

The reason I am thinking fuel pump is when you first turn the key on, instead of hearing the normal high pitched whine of the pump like it used to do, now it is a low kind of growling noise.

About 2 months ago I replaced the fuel injection spider assembly and nut kit. I did so because of a leaking fuel regulator. After doing this the Jimmy ran great and started right up until this latest problem started

old_master
03-15-2006, 09:46 PM
When electric fuel pumps abruptly or gradually for that matter, change from the normal sound, it's a sure sign of the dreaded "last leg" disease and failure is in the near future. Better plan on replacing it along with a good quality fuel filter, before it strands you some place other than your driveway!

sheveman
03-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Old Master, thanks for your reply. I wish I could really be sure that the fuel pump is what is giving me the problem. Not a job that i want to do and not have it fix the problem. Oh well, it will give me a reason to replace the sending unit that hasn't worked in 5 years :lol:

old_master
03-16-2006, 04:48 PM
From the symptoms you have described, the fuel pump could easily be the problem. Checking fuel pressure will probably indicate a little on the low side confirming the failing fuel pump. If the fuel gauge sending unit is also faulty, I wouldn't feel nearly so bad about replacing the complete module assembly. ;) I have found that 100k miles is about what the lifespan is for the pump. Anything beyond that is a bonus! Don’t get a “bargain brand”, bite the bullet and do the job once using AC Delco parts.

authoriti
03-17-2006, 05:31 PM
I got my pump off ebay for about $180 shipped. It's a Acdelco product and works perfect. Couple suggestions. First empty the tank before you do any work. Second make sure you do not break the evap piece that is on the front of the tank. Third if you have ramps get the back wheels on them that made my life so much easier. lastly have help, when you go to put the tank back in a second person is a godsend. If you have any questions let me know. I did mine in a couple of hours and wasn't difficult other than having to hodge podge the evap piece that I broke back togeather.

Add your comment to this topic!