Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

car does not start when it rains

raijin
03-15-2006, 03:17 PM
i have a 99 mirage, when it rains for some reason the car will not start up at all. i've replaced the battery (at the suggestion of some friends) thinking that it might be that but so far it has not worked. on a sunny or even a cold day, the car is able to start up with no problems but if it rains then it takes a couple of days later before the car can start up. has anyone ever encountered this problem or know what could be wrong? anyone help would be appreciated, also i do not know a lot about car....only the very basic, basic stuff. thanks.

Sparky8119
03-16-2006, 03:20 AM
You might at least want to try to see if there is water in your gas tank, you can pick up some cheap stuff from the auto store, it dehydrates all the water in your gas tank. Ask the clerk, he'll probably know what you're takling about. Usually rain doesn't stop a car from starting, so thats all I am able to give ya.

DFBonnett
03-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Based on your description I would look first at the spark plug wires, then the the rest of the ignition components. Buy a Haynes or Chilton manual today and study the section on ignition.

jfp1948
02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
I had this problem with my 90 mirage. Problem was the distributor cap. Had to take it off and dry it out. Replaced it several times. Saw frequent arcing lines on the caps.

Add your comment to this topic!