Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

spray painting a car... help

bigdaddyjk
03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
hey fellas let me give you the scoop.

i have an old beat up ford f-150 and its paint is falling off and there is some rust. i would like to sand the rust off and spray paint the car for kicks and giggles.

now, i know how easy for me to run down to home depot and pick up some cans but i would to do some research beforehand.

can you tell me the names of some good spray paint and where i can get it? i dont want to spend too much but i do want it to be decent.

aight guys thanks...

John

Millermagic
03-15-2006, 08:39 PM
You plan on painting the whole vehicle using spray cans? It might be cheaper to go to a discount tool store like Harbor Freight and buying the stuff to paint cars and buying the paint.

miata1.6
03-26-2006, 12:27 AM
man i had the same idea with the hood on my miata, I used some like heat resistant semigloss with the same brand primer, it would have looked pretty decent if I had taken my time. But I did want to paint the whole car with this spray paint that is for home appliances, its glossy, its chip resistant, and heat resistant.

jveik
04-05-2006, 08:57 AM
get a siphon feed gun at harbor freight for like 25 bucks and then get primer... its really cheaper than rattlecans that cost 3-5 bucks a pop. make sure the primer is sealed or you will have to topcoat it. something like regular laquer primer will let water through and rust underneath when there is no topcoat. some primers act as a sealer too so they work great for people that just want one uniform color on the car lol... make sure you either get a regular gun or if you have to get hvlp get a bigger tip for it or else the primer wont flow worth crap and the finish will look shoddy

kicker1_solo
04-15-2006, 07:49 PM
http://www.photodump.com/direct/kicker2_solo/luv2.jpg

That's primer out of rattle cans...

But I agree the others, rent the equipment you need, it will be cheaper. I have painted a couple cars with rattle cans and it usually comes out being somewhat expensive...

s14tilo
04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I think dupont makes automotive spray paint, there are a few brands, but laying paint on with rattle cans is hard. Make sure you are consistent with your patterns, otherwise you will be able to see where the paint was not sprayed as thick.

dynastyperformance
07-14-2006, 11:36 PM
rattle canning a car takes a lot of work and costs more money than renting a spray gun.
however if you do a good job, rattle can painting can look really nice

Add your comment to this topic!