Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car only starts when it wants, and dies after 4k RPM.

95_GS_5Spd
03-14-2006, 09:30 PM
ok, I have a 95 GS 5spd, and for some reason, has developed a problem where it only starts now when it decides that it wants to. But, when it does start, if it revs over 4k, it dies and I have to turn the key completely off and back on before the car will start again, and sometimes it won't even start then. I've replaced every relay, checked fuses, replaced Crank position sensor, cam position sensor, changed coil packs, changed the oil pressure switch, knock sensor, tried another computer, and STILL no difference.

Can it be in my ignition switch? Can it be the rev-limiter? what CAN it be?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I'm so stumped that I'm ready to haul it in to Mitsu. and have them do a diagnostic and/or tear-down to figure it out.

david-b
03-14-2006, 09:47 PM
It's NOT the rev-limiter. Never heard of anyone say that before.

Is the CEL on? Does it always die when it gets over 4K? Are the plugs gapped correctly? Actually, it sounds like a fuel problem, now that I think about it more. Sounds like you're getting a form of fuel cut at the higher rpms... like the engine is choking bc fuel is not getting mixed in. That will also cause starting problems.

Make sure you are not leaking any fuel anywhere. Check the fuel injectors. Use cleaner to clean them out. Check the fuel lines for damage. Get the fuel pump tested. It's more than likely the last Fuel Pump. Good luck

95_GS_5Spd
03-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes, the CEL is on, but the only codes showing are Coil #1 and #2 Primary malfunctions. I have checked the fuel system, and the pump seems to be working just fine. It has a new FPR, and I replaced the relay for both the fuel pump, and the one for the fuel injection. I'll try replacing the fuel filter, but it just doesn't seem like that would be the problem. I've even tested to ensure there is enough vaccuum at the FPR. Guess I just need to invest in my own Diagnostics computer...lol...time to advance away from the shade-tree

david-b
03-14-2006, 10:06 PM
So you replaced everything and added an FPR? Is there enough fuel flowing now? Enough pressure? Fuel filter won't cause that big of a problem.

But since you have the coil problems, it's definitley something up with that. I know you replaced that coil pack, so I dont know what else. Unless the plugs or wires are shit to hell, i dont know what else. Good luck.

95_GS_5Spd
03-14-2006, 10:41 PM
haha..I figured it would come down to that. Guess that's why they have mechanics at the dealerships :P They know all the tricky little secrets so cheap bastards like me can't always fix it ourselves...lol....The FPR that I'm talking about is the stock piece at the end of the fuel rail. I've replaced it with an OEM piece thinking that maybe it wasn't allowing enough pressure in the rail or whatever. I tried...guess I'll take my chances with Mitsu. tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, bro.

Add your comment to this topic!