'97 Jimmy cranks, won't start, no dash lights

uhpitbull5
03-14-2006, 09:14 PM
My '97 Jimmy (engine code W), quit on me suddenly. It started, I drove about 3 feet, it killed. Was able to start it twice more, but it killed as soon as I put it in gear. Now, I don't hear the pump kick in, plus there is no power up test activity. No warning lights, no gauge activity, nothing. The starter motor does turn. All other electrical systems seem ok. I've looked through the forum, but haven't found my symptoms. Any ideas?

llw
03-16-2006, 02:05 PM
I've seen this same thing in the Blazer forum. Your problem sounds similar to mine. My wife's Jimmy has been messing up for a while now. Would stall going down the road, but would start right back up if I put it in neutral and restarted. I finally noticed that the warning lights don't always come on with the key in the on position. When the lights come on, it starts and runs fine. When they do not come on, engine will crank, but not start. I've replaced fuel filter, (probably overdue anyway) and cleaned the throttle body with no difference in stalling. One of the posts in the Blazer forum said to check wiring bundles above brake booster which I've done. The car idles fine so I don't suspect the EGR. I'm just about convinced the problem is in the ignition switch. I guess I'm looking for someone that knows what they are doing to either agree with me or tell me I'm crazy and need to never touch a wrench again !!! This is a 97 Jimmy SLT with 4.3 Vortec. Automatic, two wheel, loaded up car that I either need to make reliable or replace.:banghead:

blazee
03-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Both of you have the classic signs of a faulty ignition switch. The 97 models are plagued with them. Almost all of our members with 97s have had to replace theirs. The switch can also cause a lot of transmission problems, along with the random stalling, failure to start, and no instrument cluster activity.

You will find the replacement procedure in the FAQs at the top of the forum.

MT-2500
03-16-2006, 02:58 PM
My '97 Jimmy (engine code W), quit on me suddenly. It started, I drove about 3 feet, it killed. Was able to start it twice more, but it killed as soon as I put it in gear. Now, I don't hear the pump kick in, plus there is no power up test activity. No warning lights, no gauge activity, nothing. The starter motor does turn. All other electrical systems seem ok. I've looked through the forum, but haven't found my symptoms. Any ideas?

If dash does not power up and fuel pump does not power up.
Check all battery cables and fuses.
Get a service manual with a wiring diaghram and check for power to and from ignition switch.
MT

llw
03-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks a ton for the help. Here's hoping the next time I post here, it will be to help someone else !!!!

uhpitbull5
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks for your input. I'll pursue the ignition switch angle for starters (so to speak!!) Another symptom I didn't mention at first...Cannot get the tranny out of park. I hear a "click" when I depress brake pedal, but the button on shifter won't push in.

uhpitbull5
03-17-2006, 05:23 PM
It was the ignition switch. Thanks for all the help!!

Add your comment to this topic!