Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What to inspect at Auction

BiggWaukegan
03-14-2006, 04:32 PM
what would be some key things you would check b4 buying a crown vic at a auction. got one coming up this weekand and wanted to get some feedback from you guys. thks:thefinger :loser: :flipa:

BostonKev
03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Depending on what part of the country you live in you want to look at brake lines and possible frame rot normally on the frame from where the a/c condensor leaks down during extended idle periods. Look for something with fewer holes inside and out. Look at the general condition, if it looks beat up, it probably was. Personally, I never purchase city cars as theoretically they could be driven for 24 hours straight. Best of luck.

lights_sirens
03-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I've had a little practice at this and every time I get a little better at it. The Crown Vic is the 5th police vehicle I have purchased at auction and by far the best. As the previous poster said, if a car looks like it got rode hard and hung up wet, it probably did.

Try to select a couple of cars that have the straightest bodies and best interiors to bid on. Check the tail pipe for black soot. Check the underside for scrapes, damage, and leaks. Pull the tranny dip stick...the fluid should be clean (red) and not smell burned. I'd insist on listening to the car run in gear. The idle should be quiet and smooth. During the auction, keep track of what other vehicles are selling for and who is buying them. If you've never bid on something at a live auction before, it's a little intimidating and exciting. Have fun this weekend!

BiggWaukegan
03-15-2006, 10:36 AM
thanks for your input. i made a good list to check on when i go the day b4 the auction. they let you start it and put it in gear . so i will of coarse. what does black smoot in the tailpipe mean? o yeah heres my 2000 cvpi super dam fast withfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Donna/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/vicki%20lou.jpg 78k. got it for 3000 . good deal?

lights_sirens
03-15-2006, 02:24 PM
I can't see your car picture, but 3000 sounds like a good deal.

On a properly tuned unleaded gas engine, the tailpipes tips should have no residue at all, even though it is common to see black pipes on cars. If there is nothing wrong with the engine tuning, a black tailpipe is usually indicative of a car that has undergone many short trips and numerous cold starts. I believe it is carbon buildup that attaches to the pipe. This was a much bigger problem with carbureted engines in my pre-1990 police vehicles than it is with a modern fuel-injected P71 engine.

BiggWaukegan
03-16-2006, 01:10 PM
hereshttp://www.obenaufauctions.com/March18,2006-2000CrownVic74kmi_m_.jpg (http://www.obenaufauctions.com/March18,2006-2000CrownVic74kmi_m_L.jpg) *2000 Ford Crown Vic (74,000 mi)
a picture

Add your comment to this topic!