Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

quick question

whiteram4by4
03-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I have a 1999 Doge Ram. I recently took it to have the windows tinted. They told me that the factory window tint on my Ram could not be removed. They said something about the film could not be taken off so I got a tint % that i really wasn't wanting. Does anyone else have a ram and tinted all of the windows (let's say 15% or less). Please reply back because I am going to go back up there. Thank you, Mike

imtheoneandonlyD
03-14-2006, 01:47 PM
On my 99 i had 5% all around.

tony36
03-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Factory tint is inside the glass when the glass is manufactured. The % measurement of tint is rated by how musch light is allowed through. If you have 3%(called limo tint) it only allows 3% of light through. I used to install auto and commercial tint. You can put anything on your truck within state laws. If you want 15% and already have factory, they will have to use a light meter to determine what you already have and cannot add tint that will go over the state max. The factory tint in a lot of cases is darker than the state alows but the state cannot do anything about it legally because it is original equipment. The factory tint on my truck is much darker than the state allows. If you do get tint put on, make sure to get quality. The tint you see bubble in, looks silver, the installers did not get all the air pushed out. The purple old tint is from cheap stuff that uv light has turned. Vista and Lumar are good films, life time warranty.

BleedDodge
03-14-2006, 04:21 PM
The quarter windows on these trucks are tinted to look like fifteen. If you put fifteen on your front windows, and then the back window, everything will match.

If you want you can click the link in my sig and check out my green truck. We put five on the back window, and then put fifteen on both sets of side windows. The quarter windows are so dark now that you can't see anything from the outside no matter how hard you try. Fifteen on fifteen comes down to a tint percentage of about 2 1/4 percent. It's dark.

But yeah, if you want all the windows to match, leave the quarter windows alone and put fifteen everywhere else.

neon_rt
03-14-2006, 04:43 PM
The laws in most states are different for MPV and trucks than they are for cars.
Some states were writing people tickets for having factory window tint on their PT Cruisers. It turns out that the Feds rate the PT as a light truck and most tint laws do not apply.

tony36
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
The laws in most states are different for MPV and trucks than they are for cars.
Some states were writing people tickets for having factory window tint on their PT Cruisers. It turns out that the Feds rate the PT as a light truck and most tint laws do not apply.If someone is getting ticketed for factory tint I would fight it. Under the constitution state laws cannot supersede federal. The factory tint limitations is under federal requirements and the state cannot over rule it. That is why if the laws are read closely, they only include aftermarket tint. In fact in most states if you buy used and it has tint on it, you can have it inspected and they have to allow you to keep it since it was on at purchase. That part isn't all states, but in quite a few.

Add your comment to this topic!