Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 4x4 tranny problems / questions

Mechanicapped
03-14-2006, 01:09 PM
1995 4.3L V6 'W' 4wd with 160,000-ish miles

The transfer case is cracked.

Transmission fluid leaks rather steadily now (more than previously) and pools just beneath the driver's seat general area.

Is the transmission fluid in my transfer case completely different from the transmission fluid I add to my truck under the hood? Obviously, I'm asking because I want to know if adding fluid under the hood is doing ANYTHING to replace a single drop that is leaking out of the transfer case.

If they are separate, do I just have to crawl under this truck and figure out where the plug/hole is to add transmission fluid to the transfer case?

I have priced a new transfer case at about a grand and a rebuilt transfer case for about $200. What is involved in replacing the transfer case? Is it more complicated than draining everything, removing the cracked one, putting on the replacement, adding fluid?

Is it even worthwhile to replace the transfer case? Or is it time to retire this truck?

Thank you - the transmission stuff is foreign to me and I could use all the advice I can get.

MT-2500
03-14-2006, 03:08 PM
To fill and check transfer case there is a pipe plug about half way up on the back of it.
And yes you or someone will have to craw under there or you can go to a lube place and have them check it. But if it is cracked very bad you will need to fix or park it.
Most take dexron 111 ATF but look at your owners manual to be sure.
It is Your truck. So is it worth putting 1000-1500$ in it?
But I would also wonder or find out what caused it to crack to start with.
MT

Rmbodie
03-15-2006, 02:05 AM
On my 89 , the transfer case has the label "drain" & "fill" stamped beside the plugs . The years may have changed things though . Rob

83T/A98Blazer
03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
The fluid for the transmission SHOULD be completely separate from the transfer case fluid. There is another thread about the tranny leaking into the transfer case, but I have not seen that happen often. If you have been adding fluid to the transmission you need to check it and remove some fluid if it is overfilled, you may damage that also. MT-2500's post is right on. If it was my Blazer, I would put the rebuilt transfer in for about $200.00. Removing and replacing it is not that bad of a job.

Add your comment to this topic!