Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Isuzu Rodeo - Suspension problem?

tkw829
03-14-2006, 11:39 AM
My rodeo bottoms out on just about any bump i drive over. I figured it was probably the shocks since they had not been changed over the life of the vehicle, so I went ahead and all of them replaced. Now the driving is marginally better, but not much better. Does anyone know what the issue might be. Also the truck sways quite a bit when i'm driving into a turn.

lifelongslacker
03-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Check for broken sway bar links (or the entire sway bar) if the suspension is a bad as you say it is, something is probably snapped. They should have noticed that when they installed the shocks.
Also, is your front end riding lower than the back? This could be as simple as tightening your torsion bars.
Let me know if you find any broken parts.

ogfooman
03-19-2006, 09:47 AM
The symptoms you have can have a number of causes.
The back end:
The bottoming out is just your rear leaf springs being worn out. Replace them or get a helper spring pack at www.darlington-offroad.com. The shackle bushings are probably very worn out, and these will need to be replaced as well. Check the other parts of the leaf pack carefully, such as u bolt torque and center pins not shearing.
The front:
There are lots of things that can wear out up here. Get a haynes manual, and that will tell you specifically what you can do to find out if anything is particularly worn. Some things to check; upper and lower a-arm bushings, tie-rods, ball joints, and wheel bearings.

Good luck.

JHaas23
02-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I have a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo (2.6L 2 wheel drive) and have experienced the very same issues you have described. I would bet you anything that the leaf springs on the rear end of your Rodeo are just weak form time and travel. The easiest way to address this issue is by installing a set of leaf spring helpers. They are often used to stiffen the rear suspension for carrying the extra weight when towing, but the also will help add new life to worn/tired leaf springs. You can find them sold in pairs ranging in price from $39.99 + from several internet based stores and at local stores such as Advanced, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. I installed a set of leaf spring helpers on my Rodeo in less than a hour and it made a world of difference, no more bottoming out or leaning heavy in a turn.

Cat Fuzz
02-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Five year old thread. :screwy:

JHaas23
02-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah I know it was old an old thread, but I figured if I toss in my 2 cents now maybe someone else can use the info should they just happen to stumble across it like I did.

speeed001
03-16-2011, 09:56 PM
And I thank you... I just came here looking for help with this very issue.

Add your comment to this topic!