Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

popular engines

law195
03-14-2006, 03:20 AM
I have no idea where to start as I don't live in Europe, have no connections, and only speak english. But the goal is to build a kit car from european parts. Shouldn't be too hard as I can get some here or have it shipped over. But what are the popular motors the euros use. In the states there are the Ford 302, Chevy 350 and the like. What are the 6 or 8 cylinder motors they choose to mod? From the 1970's and up is good for me, or if there are the special ones like the old ass cadillac 472 that are still reliable.

sv650s
03-15-2006, 07:55 PM
what about a LS1 Gen III?

TEXAS-HOTROD
07-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Most kits uase American cars as a donor. I was looking at a GT40 kit, but it uses the crappy Fiero/Cavalier engine/tranny. If I build a car that looks killer, it better run just as good. Building anything w/a lame 4cyl. would be pathetic.

It sounds like you want something unique (as I do). If you spend all the time building something, and you use a European V-8 engine, it will sound like a V-8. Most cars in Europe are a diesel/stick shift combo. If it's not a diesel, most likely it's a 4cylinder, so getting a v-8 from europe would be difficult and expensive. I have a friend in Italy, I asked him what the availability was for older Ferrari cars or at least an engine. Even there it's expensive, any thing coming across would be scrutenized in customs and then having to pay taxes on it all (freakin government).
You would have better luck finding a German V-8 at your local "Autobahn" salvage yard. If you're going to go through all that trouble, you might as well get an LS-1 and convert it to carb induction and MSD ignition.

I had thoughts of a Ferrari project, and decided it had to have a V-12. I purchased a used BMW V-12 (for a reasonable price), stripped off all the electronics and fuel injection, adapted 2 6cyl. HEI distributors, and built a custom sheet metal intake manifold. I have the engine complete and running on a pallet, the only thing it needs is a set of headers to make it complete.
My plans changed, I don't want a Fiero-based kit car. I want to stick it in something more deserving, I just haven't found the perfect car yet.
I adapted a Muncie 4spd. to the Bimmer and planned on using it in one of my old Camaros, but I just can't make up my mind. The 454 would run way better, so I am still searching for a smaller/lighter car.
In the mean time ,I have a friend that had to relocate. He sold his project parts/cars and I came up w/a 2nd. engine.
Wiesco makes pistons and some other company makes liners to punch it out to a 6.0 liter (from a 5.0). I have an address for a place in Canada that produces performance cams, so parts are available. W/the big bore kit and the cam install, it's good for 600h.p., and there's nothing like the sound that they make. W/a 12-into-1 exhaust system, it would really sing.

This guy built an Ultima car that looks really professional.
He made a 12-into-4 exhaust, it sounds good, but it would sound better the other way (or at least a 12-into-2).
http://www.ultimav12.ca

Add your comment to this topic!