02 Town & Country electrical issues

ccarbo
03-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Hello, I just bought an 02 T&C Lxi and read the manual to understand all the options. Well to turn on the fog lamps it says to turn to parking lamps and then flicker the turn signal low/high beam switch to turn on the fog lamps. Well I did that and then the lamps come one, then off, and they just flicker on/off and sometimes stay on for 30 seconds then off. It is very weird. Seems like a connection but haven't looked at it yet.

I also have an issue with the driver side power sliding door where when push the remote or inside button to open it will pop the door open but then never pull it out fully and slide open. After it pops open little I can here a (click, click, click) sound. Also sometimes when that don't work the power liftgate in back acts the same way. It is very intermittent and can't replicate it all the time.

Anyone have any suggestions to these 2 issues...... anything would be great. The dealer will rape me to look at it. Happened already with $150 bill to change spark plugs!!!! Not too happy about that..... next I will do it myself. :banghead:

thanks.

slantsixness
03-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Your door issue is an alignment problem or lubrication on both the side door and rear gate. Any slight restriction in movement will cause these doors to close when half open, or open if it meets restriction in movement. The alignment isn't too tricky to do. The grease sometimes gets stiff in cold climates and will cause this to happen too.

As to the Fog light scenario...:screwy:...I'm not aware of fog lights that activate like that from Chrysler. usually, you either pull the light switch out, after turning the lights on (as in "Pull" like you were trying to pull the knob off, not the hi-beam lever "pull") That might be what you're doing wrong?

Hope I helped,

Tom

ccarbo
03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Well the side door doesn't even get open at all, it just cracks the seal and pops out a little, the next motion I think then should be where the motor takes over and opens it out, then back. How does one look or adjust the alignment on the door? I lubed the rollers and latches with garage door lube that is the dry type so it don't collect dust/dirt. It seemed to help and yes it is colder climate here in Wisconsin. If I knew what to align I will do that. thanks.

The fog lamps, I will read that again but I have also turned the headlamp switch to lights and tried to pull out but it don't pull out at all, maybe 1/16 of inch but that didn't do anything with the fog lights to turn them on. I will look at it tonight again and reply tomorrow. thanks!! :grinyes:

Your door issue is an alignment problem or lubrication on both the side door and rear gate. Any slight restriction in movement will cause these doors to close when half open, or open if it meets restriction in movement. The alignment isn't too tricky to do. The grease sometimes gets stiff in cold climates and will cause this to happen too.

As to the Fog light scenario...:screwy:...I'm not aware of fog lights that activate like that from Chrysler. usually, you either pull the light switch out, after turning the lights on (as in "Pull" like you were trying to pull the knob off, not the hi-beam lever "pull") That might be what you're doing wrong?

Hope I helped,

Tom

ccarbo
03-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Well I looked last night and now am more confused. It has fog lamps but the headlamp switch will not pull out (I pulled plenty hard) to turn them on. I am confused.... I don't see any other switch for them either. Read the manual too and you are right but my switch will not pull out. Any other thoughts??

Hope I helped,

Tom

moparman58
03-15-2006, 01:30 AM
If your switch is like mine (97 T&C), you have to turn on the headlights first, then pull the switch out (about a quarter inch, if that) to turn on the fog lights. It won't pull out from the off or parking light positions. Hope this helps!

Stevo2
03-15-2006, 03:39 AM
Fog Lamps

FOG LAMPS
The BCM controls the operation of the fog lamp relay that turns the fog lamps ON and OFF. The Fog lamps can only be ON when the park and low beams are ON. If the high beams are switched ON, then the Fog lamps will be automatically turned OFF.

The Fog Lamp switch is a direct input to the BCM. The BCM sends a BUS message to the Front Control Module (FCM) informing it to turn on the fog lamp relay. The fog lamp relay is then powered through low side control of the FCM. This circuit is electronically controlled and continuously monitored for malfunctions. Fog lamp functionality is not equipped on all vehicles. The FCM "learns" that the vehicle is equipped with fog lamps by reading the BCM BUS message.

Headlamp Switch

HEADLAMP SWITCH
The Headlamp Switch uses a multiplexed (MUX) circuit to the Body Control Module (BCM) . The Headlamp Switch controls the Fog lamp relay, Park lamps and the Low and High headlamps. The BCM then sends a signal through the PCI Bus line to the FCM as to what state the switch has selected. The FCM energizes the high side output drivers to turn ON the desired lamps.

ccarbo
03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Stevo, ok so what is the deal then??? The light switch does NOT pull out like the manual says "if equipped with fog lamps". They are the factory lamps inside the front fender. I know they only come on with LOW beams. sunday night I was driving and had the lights on and when I flicked the hi/low switch on the turn signal the fog lamps would flash on for 15 seconds then go off, then on for second, then off...etc. I don't get it at all. Is the BCM screwed up ?? What to do? I have no idea what to do. thanks.

Fog Lamps

FOG LAMPS
The BCM controls the operation of the fog lamp relay that turns the fog lamps ON and OFF. The Fog lamps can only be ON when the park and low beams are ON. If the high beams are switched ON, then the Fog lamps will be automatically turned OFF.

The Fog Lamp switch is a direct input to the BCM. The BCM sends a BUS message to the Front Control Module (FCM) informing it to turn on the fog lamp relay. The fog lamp relay is then powered through low side control of the FCM. This circuit is electronically controlled and continuously monitored for malfunctions. Fog lamp functionality is not equipped on all vehicles. The FCM "learns" that the vehicle is equipped with fog lamps by reading the BCM BUS message.

Headlamp Switch

HEADLAMP SWITCH
The Headlamp Switch uses a multiplexed (MUX) circuit to the Body Control Module (BCM) . The Headlamp Switch controls the Fog lamp relay, Park lamps and the Low and High headlamps. The BCM then sends a signal through the PCI Bus line to the FCM as to what state the switch has selected. The FCM energizes the high side output drivers to turn ON the desired lamps.

Add your comment to this topic!