Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

throttle position sensor

bucsfan
03-13-2006, 03:00 AM
I have 99 mirage that had a bad TPS (according to the downloaded codes) so I changed it. Car worked great for 3-4 weeks. then began sputtering again and the "check engine light" came on again, you guessed it, TPS again. has anyone had this problem before? I need to know what is causing theTPS to go bad. Something has got to be bad in the system causing them to quit. any help would be appreciated.

DFBonnett
03-13-2006, 08:28 AM
It was probably just a defective replacement TPS. Over the years, I've seen quite a few parts DOA or failing within a short time, most often with lower end aftermarket brands but sometimes even with OEM.

bucsfan
03-13-2006, 02:15 PM
that is what I had thought, just wanted to double check before I spent another $130 bones an another auto zone sensor.:banghead: Thanks for the help....

DFBonnett
03-14-2006, 08:14 AM
that is what I had thought, just wanted to double check before I spent another $130 bones an another auto zone sensor.:banghead: Thanks for the help....

I'm not wild about AZ parts. Too many stories about defects. I prefer to work with, in this order, OEM, Standard products, and NAPA. They usually cost a bit more but this stuff is too hard to do twice.
FWIW
YMMV

Add your comment to this topic!