Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Crown Vic P71 idle/cruise issues

sweetal
03-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and new to CV ownership. I drove my car over 1800 miles home from place of purchase. About halfway home I developed a problem of the car having to be cranked several times before it started (like carb cars when they were flooded). Also, the idle would go up and down for a while while in park and when I changed gears it surged for a second then went up and down idle. Any thoughts??

Also, my cruise and cig adapter doesn't work. Any thoughts on that?

The car runs fine once it gets started. And if its left for a long time it will start right up.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Alan

ModMech
03-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I believe that the hard starting and rolling idle are both due to the same thing, EITHER a bad Idle Air Control (IAC), or a vacuum leak. Either is possible, and would cause the symptoms you describe.

sweetal
03-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I believe that the hard starting and rolling idle are both due to the same thing, EITHER a bad Idle Air Control (IAC), or a vacuum leak. Either is possible, and would cause the symptoms you describe.

Thanks ModMech! Now, can you or anyone else tell me what an IAC looks like and where exactly its located?? I found where the MAP is!! Wahoo! Now help me (mechanically challenged) locate the IAC in my 99 P71.
Thanks in advance for the help, otherwise it would cost me $75/hr or more--yikes!

way2old
03-17-2006, 06:15 PM
The IAC is located top rear center of engine. It is sorta stuffed under a couple of tubes. It is a silver tubular thing that is held on by two 8mm bolts. There is also a wiring connection and a hose about an inch in diameter going to it.

Add your comment to this topic!