Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Colorado and pulling a trailer?

fedfuzz
03-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I am considering purchasing a 2005 colorado crew cab with the 5 cylinder engine. Not sure if I am going to do with a 2wd or a 4wd. Just wondering if anyone has towed anything with there Colorado. Usually in the summer I pull a trailer with 2 atv's weighting approx 3000lbs about twice a month. Ranging bi more than a 150 mile round trip. Just wondering how this 5 cylinder will do pulling a trailer. Chevrolet says it will pull that amount of weight no problem. Figured I better check with some real drivers.

Philo
03-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I am considering purchasing a 2005 colorado crew cab with the 5 cylinder engine. Not sure if I am going to do with a 2wd or a 4wd. Just wondering if anyone has towed anything with there Colorado. Usually in the summer I pull a trailer with 2 atv's weighting approx 3000lbs about twice a month. Ranging bi more than a 150 mile round trip. Just wondering how this 5 cylinder will do pulling a trailer. Chevrolet says it will pull that amount of weight no problem. Figured I better check with some real drivers.

I have an '04, I5, std cab, auto, 3.73 axle. I can pull 4000lb. Same truck with manual is restricted to 3500lbs. What I would do is go to the dealer, select a truck that you like, and ask to see the manual. There is a chart in there that tells what that truck can pull. A lot depends on the terain. If it is mostly flat, you should not have trouble with the limit. But if it is hilly, expect to tow less.
I had an 94 S10 4x4 before the Colorado, and towed a large wood chipper. On the way, I had to go up a really steep hill. I was in two wheel drive, and the roads were dry, but when almost to the top of the hill, the rears started to spin. Lucky for me, it leveled off slightly before the truck stopped going foreward. I was getting ready to pop it into 4x4 mode. Scary.

wrparks
05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Do they offer a towing package on the colorado that comes with a tranny cooler? If so, I would recomend it if you are towing close to the maximum weight.

dcjredline
04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Towed a 3300 pound AWD Pontiac 6000 on a trailer from CT to NY(Upstate) and the Canyon did GREAT! Towed like a dream and it was a blizzard for the last 110 miles of my trip. 3.5 Auto Crew Cab

Add your comment to this topic!