Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

too much gas and no spark???? 89 318 TBI

rkennett62
03-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I recently replaced fuel pump and truck ran good for awhile. Took in garage to replace shocks and that's where its been sitting ever since. It overloads with so much gas that it finally stops cranking. I don't know where mister sparky went, coils good and replaced hall effects pickup in distributor. I am leaning toward a new computer. any help would be greatly appreciated.

tony36
03-13-2006, 10:36 PM
I know you said coil was good, but are you getting power to it? You may have skipped or broke your timing chain. Put your #1 piston to top and check where your rotor points.

slantsixness
03-14-2006, 07:52 AM
I had a problem with the ECU in an 89 Ramcharger that sounds really similar....
This happened in 1992, on the side of a road...
Too much fuel..... one injector was hung open by a constant voltage riding on it coming from the ECU (or "SMEC" Single Module Engine Control, as it was called then)
The Truck would start, but only when I cleaned the plugs (again), then FLOORED it while cranking and She'd start and run, then, looking down the throttle body, I could see one injector with a full-on spray ALL THE TIME the ignition was on. I kept it running, and did a "neutral drop" to get it to move (OW, that hurt!) and I drove it home, flooding and sputtering in 4wheel LOW to keep the RPMs up! (It was only 3 miles...)

As much as that module cost me ($365.00), I was really angry that it had just died like that, but replacing the module cured it. 1 month and 700 miles out of warranty. Whadda beaach.

Check your injector pulsing while cranking. If they're or one is not just sputtering like they should, this could be your problem. Unfortunately, both injectors are interconnected, so disconnecting one of the two will not allow only one to operate.

Nowadays, your should be able to pickup a used or rebuilt ECM a lot cheaper.

Now with that said, it of course could be the coil, cap or rotor, too... but if it's the "ignition module" you're back to the SMEC again!

I never had another minutes trouble out of the Ramcharger, except forgetting to put in the Limited slip additive, and a bad AC metering block once. Otherwise, we drove it 180K miles before we sold it!

Hope I helped,

Tom

Add your comment to this topic!