Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

God help me before I get the gas and matches!

LedSled
03-11-2006, 05:54 PM
This car has been nothing but a pain in the ass for the past month! It's an 89 tercel hatchback. First the headgasket went (okay that was me). Now the stupid thing does NOT want to shift when running.I need to use all my force to push this thing into any gear, and it grinds in reverse. My friend/mechanic told me to check the shift arm bushings for wear as they will totally bind up sometimesand not move, but they are fine. When the car is not running, it shifts FINE. not to mention the clutch pedal feels really loose. Can anybody offer some more help!!!!! I can't wait till my 53 chevy is done. Thanks in advance,
-Colin

C-Stylez
03-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Its most likely your clutch slave cylinder has gone bad. Check to see if u have any clutch fluid in the clutch master cylinder. U can usually rebuild the slave if the bore isn't too scored up. Your best bet though would be to just go to autozone or whereever and buy a new slave cylinder assembly and just bolt it on. have a friend come over and bleed the system and u should be fine. There will be clutch(i.e. brake ) fluid near the slave cylinder from where it has started to leak. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-Tercel-Clutch-Slave-Cylinder_W0QQitemZ7997846539QQcategoryZ33730QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

LedSled
03-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks so much C-Styles. Went out and check, and there is almost no movement from the cylinder, so it looks like ill need a new one. Thanks again,
-Colin

Add your comment to this topic!