Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CV Joint?

Branton
03-11-2006, 02:29 PM
OK i have an 03 cavalier it only has 30k miles and i have been noticing a clicking sound coming from the front end. It does this when i go in a straight line or when i turn. But it only does it at low speeds. First i thought it was the brakes since the noise stops when brakes are applied. However i have read in the Haynes repair manual that it could be the inner CV joints. I checked the bushings and they look ok, i have a slight groove in the rotor but its not bad. I've read posts with similair problems. I was just wondering if its normal for the CV joint go go out so early and will the noise get worse before it completely messes up. Also its under warranty but i dont know if the factory will fix it since i lowered the car and put rims on it...i know they will get out of it if they can. I'm hoping its not the CV joint but with my luck im sure it will turn out to be. Any insight will be appreciatted.

TC23
03-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Im not sure how quick they are suppose to go when they are lowered but when you lower a vehicle u put addition strain on the CV joints becuase you put them at angles that they are not designed to handle. You would also have to do a lot of hard cornering/extreme conditions to wreck them. So it can go either way for warranty.

Branton
03-11-2006, 09:21 PM
i've heard before that the cv joint boot will be cracked or leaking grease if its bad is this true?

TooMuchRock
03-12-2006, 03:52 AM
mine 2000 cavalier makes the same clicking noise at low speeds...i can never get it to do it when a mechanic is in the car.

I think i've attributed mine to a warped wheel.

but im no mechanic.

I've stopped worrying about it, because it has done it since i have owned it (3+ years) and it hasnt caused any problems i know of.

Branton
03-12-2006, 04:46 PM
i know its not a warped wheel on mine because the noise has perservered through the change to my new rims. I havent completely ruled out a possible brake problem though.

Add your comment to this topic!