Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

old decals

woszczyt
03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
does anybody have any experience with 20+ years old decals. I have just started to decal 205 Peugeot but noticed that the film is cracking and its almost impossible to conform to curves ,moving the stuff on the flat surface makes it tear .Since its gonna be a weathered project it doesn't matter this much , but its the first time that old decals are giving me a headache-usually they went on without aproblem.I have a supply of old stock for the future "better times "so is there a method to preserve them and keep them fresh ?
thanks W

freakray
03-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Store decals in a zip-loc bag in a somewhat controlled enviroment if you want to prolong their life without spending huge amounts of money.

toyota00
03-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Ya, airtight is the key

woszczyt
03-11-2006, 05:23 PM
ok ,but what to do with the ones that are already weak and cracking?
is there a way to save them or rather have to forget about using them?

freakray
03-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Badger makes a liquid decal film(product #16-803) you can use to reseal the decals, I've used it sucessfully on some old decals.

stevenoble
03-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Get yourself a bottle of this

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/stevenoble/IMGP1847.jpg

It's Microscale Liquid Decal Film.You can spray or brush a coat over your old decals (while they are still on the backing sheet) then when you cut them out and dip them in the water to use them they will not crumble up and break,tear etc.It's a very useful product.Steve.

woszczyt
03-12-2006, 07:50 AM
thanks a lot - saved me a lot of trouble. The funny thing is that I already have the stuff-bought by a MISTAKE in a hobbyshop in Amsterdam and was very cautios about its use.will let you know how it worked . Thanks again
W

woszczyt
03-12-2006, 05:00 PM
worked well , although an orange peel is evident on decal surface.I even tried decal solutions to conform to more complex areas and had no problems . Only took longer to peel the decal off the backing . Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!