Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 5.9 weird problem

fleettech
03-11-2006, 07:42 AM
We have several 1 ton dodges in our fleet at work both v-10s and 5.9 and this one has an unusual problem. If the fuel tank gets below 1/4 tank the truck will not shift properly. fill it up and it shifts fine :screwy: . no DTC's and runs fine. the truck has about 40K on it

BleedDodge
03-11-2006, 12:35 PM
There was another guy in here a few months ago saying that his truck was doing the same thing. I don't know if he ever solved the problem.

tony36
03-11-2006, 08:18 PM
check for bulletins on dodge sight. I think the problem may be adressed there.

jobartel
03-13-2006, 07:44 AM
What Dodge site are you referring to?

loganlott
03-13-2006, 06:16 PM
it seems the weight of the gas is giving it more traction, if it is a work truck from the factory maybe, just maybe they didn't distribute weight to the rear end of the truck due to the fact that at the factory they think that the truck will be loaded down with tools,parts,supplies,ect. making up for that weight. with a 360 and an axle ratio of 3.55 you need all the weight possible, because the rear end gears are made for hauling not driving to little doodad jobs here and there. To make a long story short get you some bricks of lead bolt them to the chassis in the truck bed approximatley 65 pounds worth and that will solve your problem!

BleedDodge
03-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Wow.

fleettech
03-13-2006, 07:22 PM
NO loss of traction the truck will not shift when the fuel gauge gets below 1/4 tank. Do you really think 65 lbs will make any diff in a 1 ton i'm still laughing. I will look at it some more tomorrow I need to replace the dash in the POS

tony36
03-13-2006, 10:20 PM
As far as I know, fuel level has absolutely nothing to do with the tranny, however the fuel pressure does. It is possible that the fuel pump has a defect or leak somewhere in it that would cause it to draw air when the fuel level reaches 1/4 tank. If this is happening, its not actually effecting the tranny, but how the engine performs. If the engine is not reaching the rpms like it should from lack of fuel, then the tranny obviosly wil not shift the way it is supposed to. I think the shifting is a symptom of another problem. I can't say for sure because I have never heard of this, but through what you have said, it seems to be a logical possibility. If it does not run long enough in that condition then you will not get a code either. You can have the fuel pressure checked when it is doing that and that would tell you if that is the problem. Does the truck accelerate ok when it does that or does it act like it levels of and won't go any higher in rpm?

tony36
03-13-2006, 10:27 PM
All vehicles are deaigned to run properly as is, they are never designed to only run propperly in assumed use. Not only that but loss of traction will not hinder the trans shifting. You can roast the tires in an auto and it will go through the gears. Also 65 lbs on a one ton is like putting a five year old in the back, it's not even an afterthought to the truck. Please don't feel picked on. I'm not laughing at you, but that is not a solution that will work in this case. At least you tried to help.

Add your comment to this topic!