Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Rodeo Fuel Gauge Problem

99FLRODEO
03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I have a 99 rodeo that the fuel level is always on empty. I purchased it used and it has always been like this. I pulled the bulb so it isnt as annoying. When I pulled the bulb I tested the panel with a test light. The connections going to the fuel gauge was very faint compared to the other gauges.

I figure there is two options to fix this problem. One would be to replace the instrument panel and Two is to drop the tank and replace the sending unit, which would be a pain in the a**.

Anyone experience this problem before and have a solution or suggestion as what to check/test next??

Thanks in advance.

IsuzuKid
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
It is your FUEL SENDING UNIT that needs to be replaced. Had the exact same problem with my 99 Rodeo. When I had it fixed, mine was still under warranty. I don't know about now, you might end up having to pay $300 to $400 for the parts and labor. If you don't mind in saying "empty" all the time, you can use your TRIP ODOMETER to calculate how much gas you have left. For example, My rodeo gets about 200 miles per tank. I reset the trip odometer everytime i fill up and its very accurate. When i get close to 200, i fill it up again. HTH

Lakeshow23
03-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Replacing the entire instrument cluster can't be as easy as changing the fuel level sending unit. It ain't that hard.

Gizmo42
03-10-2006, 06:15 PM
If you do the job yourself you can do it for around $36. It's a pretty simple job, you just need a floor jack to drop the tank. Only 4 bolts hold the tank up.

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq2

99FLRODEO
03-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the information. Ill try and replace the fuel sending unit and hopefully thats it.

Anyone have the part number for the sending unit on hand?

bishop242
03-11-2006, 11:27 AM
It's not terribly difficult to replace the sending unit..
Here's a good write up: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=529309&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=1&fpart=1

Just be sure to run your tank as near to empty as you can bfore trying this! Also, be sure to hit the tank bolts with some liquid wrench a couple of days prior to removing them as they tend to be rusted and sticky.

99FLRODEO
03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Bishop242: Thanks for that link helps alot and includes the part number and detailed pictures

Add your comment to this topic!