Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 CV With Strange Noise in Morning

pvorlicek
03-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi:

I have a 2003 Crown Vic LX which may have a related/similar problem to the "Hooter Tube Problem".

In the morning (or after car has been sitting for a while) if I turn the ignition key to the on position (NOT starting the car) and wait 5 or 10 seconds the car begins to make a "rattling" sound. The sound is almost like a small pump (frequency 3 to 5 Hz) ... and stops after another 5 seconds or so. The sound seems to come from underneath the hood in the engine compartment area.

Again, the car is not started.

Any idea what this might be?

I have the car at the dealer right now (since it is still under warranty) and he seems to think it might be the fuel pump starting up?!!?

Car has 2 more weeks of factory warranty ... so I'd like to get this resolved before than.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Preston

way2old
03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Your noise is not related to the "hooter tube" noise. Sounds like you have a relay that is not working properly since the engine is not running and it shuts off after a few seconds. What options do you have on the vehicle? Do you have air ride suspension? The hooting noise is only when the engine is running.

pvorlicek
03-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Way2old:

Thanks much. I believe it does have the airride suspension (this is the thing that is turned off with a switch in the trunk?). Cold it be the airride suspension pump activating? If yes, where is this pump located?

Thanks,

Preston

cruizer
03-11-2006, 10:32 AM
The air pump is located under the air filter box, it will turn on if the rear suspension is to low in the back to bring it up. It will only be on long enough to bring the back end up to normal ride height. The air switch is in the trunk, left side.

Add your comment to this topic!