Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TSB 01-06-03-005 for headlight flicker

srlbotanical
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Our 2000 venture has had a problem with the lights flickering for a while now. I thought the alternator was going bad until I found a reference to this technical service bulletin. A $3 screw and washer fixed the problem. I wanted to post this so it would be a little easier for others to find the info.

This was an easy fix, but I would not have been able to do it without a small telescoping inspection mirror. Here is the TBS:

Interior and Exterior Lamps Vary in Brightness (Replace Generator Voltage Regulator Ground Screw) #01-06-03-005 - (Apr 30, 2001)

2000-2001 Chevrolet Impala (With 3800 Engine and Police or Taxi Package)

2000-2001 Chevrolet Venture

2000-2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette

2000-2001 Pontiac Montana

Condition
Some customers may comment that the interior and/or the exterior lamps vary in intensity (flicker).

Correction
Replace the voltage regulator attaching screw with the screw and washer from the service kit following the procedure outlined below.

Disconnect the battery cable.
Remove the wiper module cover (U-Van).

Remove the voltage regulator ground screw (1). (This is the recessed screw located 1/3 of the way from the large battery cable attachment to the generator harness.) Use a stubby #2 Phillips screwdriver to break it loose and then loosen the screw with a small pocket screwdriver. The screw may hang up on the plastic cover on the rear of the generator. If this happens, use a pocket screwdriver inserted between the screw and the cover. The screw will pop out when a little sideways pressure is applied.
Install the screw and washer from the kit through the voltage regulator and into the generator case.
Tighten the screw securely.
Replace the wiper module cover.
Reconnect the battery cable.

Tighten
Tighten the cable to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Kit, Screw for Bosch Generator

Parts are expected to be availalbe from GMSPO, 5/16/01.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J4100

(Impala)
Screw, Voltage Regulator Mounting
0.2 hr*

J4100

(U-Van)
0.3 hr*

*This is a unique labor operation time to be used only with this bulletin.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Add your comment to this topic!