95 Suburban rear heat/ac question....

ponjohn
03-09-2006, 08:21 PM
looking at a 95 suburban, needs some work but the price is right and it is a 454.

This comes from the owner, the rear a/c does not get cold but the compressor comes ( when jumped)on AND the rear heat does not get hot.

Questions- does the rear a/c use the same compressor as the main a/c?

Is the rear evaporator mounted somewhere in the rear or underneath?

Heat- does the rear heat "T" off of the main heat core or is there a second heater core , again mounted in the rear?

Also he said the window regulators are broken, he can hear the motor run but no window movement- ever heard of this?

Thanks-
John

NoEcm
03-09-2006, 08:54 PM
the rear a/c does not get cold but the compressor comes ( when jumped)on

Your A/C charge could be low and the expansion valve that controls the rear A/C in the Suburban is also a known failure point:
http://www.acsource.net/acforum/viewtopic.php?t=266

does the rear a/c use the same compressor as the main a/c?

Yes, it uses the same compressor.

The evaparator for the rear is inside the passenger compartment above the right rear wheel. If you look underneath the car, a little behind and above the right rear wheel you should see a/c the lines going into the passenger compartment.

Heat- does the rear heat "T" off of the main heat core or is there a second heater core , again mounted in the rear?

If your Suburban has rear heat, there is a 2nd heater core in the same area as the rear evaporator. Again, look above and behind the right rear wheel and you will see a 2nd set of hoses. The 2 hoses towards the front of the car are for the heat and the 2 hoses towards the rear are for the A/C

ponjohn
03-10-2006, 10:08 AM
the rear a/c does not get cold but the compressor comes ( when jumped)on

Your A/C charge could be low and the expansion valve that controls the rear A/C in the Suburban is also a known failure point:
http://www.acsource.net/acforum/viewtopic.php?t=266

does the rear a/c use the same compressor as the main a/c?

Yes, it uses the same compressor.

The evaparator for the rear is inside the passenger compartment above the right rear wheel. If you look underneath the car, a little behind and above the right rear wheel you should see a/c the lines going into the passenger compartment.

If your Suburban has rear heat, there is a 2nd heater core in the same area as the rear evaporator. Again, look above and behind the right rear wheel and you will see a 2nd set of hoses. The 2 hoses towards the front of the car are for the heat and the 2 hoses towards the rear are for the A/C
noecm-

Perfect info- any direct experience in fixing either problem?

Ever heard of the window regulators braking, 3 out of the 4 windows dont move, motor runs but no glass movement.

6t7gto
03-10-2006, 05:25 PM
ponjohn,
i was just searching this forum to help you with your problem.

small world, ain't it?

david

ponjohn
03-10-2006, 10:31 PM
ponjohn,
i was just searching this forum to help you with your problem.

small world, ain't it?

david

It sure is, I have not found many Suburban specific forums.

Thanks-john

NoEcm
03-13-2006, 12:52 AM
noecm-

Perfect info- any direct experience in fixing either problem?

Ever heard of the window regulators braking, 3 out of the 4 windows dont move, motor runs but no glass movement.

I've replaced the expansion valve in my 96. It took ~2 hours or so to replace. If yours is a 95 and you have the old expansion valve out look inside the expansion valve (the end with the screen in it). If you see little black particles inside go no further until you've read the following:
http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=black%20death

As for the rear heat I've read of guys having good success flushing the rear lines witha garden hose. Disconnect the lines going to the rear in the front and rear and use a garden hose to flush each hose and the rear reater core. It could also be the heater valve that's broken but in either case it will not hurt to flush the crud out of the system anyway.

No experience with the window mechanisms.

Good luck!!!

Not_ Me
03-17-2006, 11:56 AM
On the windows. Try to move the window down by hand while holding the switch down. If the motor takes the window after it moves some then the teeth on the regulator maybe wron off at the top. Cause,holding the window switch after the window has closed / opened all the way. If the window is down then do the reverse and try pulling the window up while running the motor. If nothing happens then the teeth on the motor gear maybe worn. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!