Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lower intake gaskets 2000 Blazer

2kjimmy
03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
HI,
I will be replacing the lower intake gaskets and was wondering if i needed anything else besides,
1. gaskets
2. oil and filt
3. antifreeze
4. RTV
well anything else
Thanks,
Chris

biv343
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
tools.

band aids.

time.

beer to celebrate with when the job is done.

That should be it.

Sounds pretty accurate. Don't forget plenty of rags to stuff into the intake ports when you're scraping the old material off.

Maybe someone else will chime in with other ideas. I went the easy route and paid to have mine changed.

93LT
03-09-2006, 04:43 PM
The beer can also help get you "in the mood" to change the gaskets. For the intake silicone, use the Gray colored silicone sealer and don't over apply. I've seen it over applied and a small piece can clog an oil passage. Don't mean to scare you on this, just don't lay a 3/8" beed out there, 1/8 to 3/16" lipped over the side gasket corners and applied towards the outer lip of the block's intake flange, front and rear, and you will be fine.

srbianats
03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Use a sharpie or similar to mark the distributor, usa a razor to clean up where the old gakets and rtv was then follow that with a rag and acetone.

edit: You might be able to use some of that beer instead of acetone.

drdd
03-09-2006, 05:51 PM
HI,
I will be replacing the lower intake gaskets and was wondering if i needed anything else besides,
1. gaskets
2. oil and filt
3. antifreeze
4. RTV
well anything else
Thanks,
Chris

Torque wrench

2kjimmy
03-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Ok thanks guys, I don't think i will have any problems just have to get it done so didn't want to be looking for some gasket before i could put her back together. The only other thing that I am concerned about is the tube that goes from the exaust manifold to the intake for the egr are there any gaskets needed for that?
Thanks,
Chris

I'll be sure to get some beer

2kTrailBlazer
03-10-2006, 09:29 AM
my intake has just gone bad as well im not sure on this one but you may need to pull the power steering pump pulley im doing mine in a couple days... how many miles do u have ? I have 100k seems like as soon as it turned 100everything started going wrong

muddog321
03-11-2006, 06:02 AM
Yes, Torque wrench cause these are criitical as are the sequence. Also change the thermostat and cap, and some carb cleaner to spray the intake down and clean it. Lots of rags/paper towels!
The power steering pump bracket has to be loosened to get to that front bolt and there are many bolts and rear nuts but you have to more it forward. Carefully flush the block and heater core before you start and clean out the reservior. If you use a hose on water pressure to clean out the heater core you may save it - chemical flushes (my personal experience on 4 Blazers only) will quicken its demise (opinion only). That fuel rail needs to be put on BEFORE the dist is put back in to allow access to the 2 rear connections, and I put the lower 2 (of 4) seal and washers into the injector housing to insert cause if all 4 are on the metal you will pinch or keep dropping them so be careful of open holes when you do this. I'm slow or careful but 8- hours start to cleaned up is about right (98 up).

2kjimmy
03-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Mine has 122,000 miles on it and has had alot go wrong with it feels like everytime i think she is all fixed up it's somthing new.
Thanks,
Chris

Add your comment to this topic!