Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What should I do ? (Audio System Upgrade)

Phoenix1
03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I got a '97 Grand Caravan with Infinity sound system (not sure what that actually means as Infinity does not seem to support OEM).
However, I am thinking about upgrading the sound system while keeping it OEM looking (the speakers, I don't want additional boxes or cutting the paneling)...

The first problem is to find 1.5 DIN units and there seem to be only a few out there (IMPORTANT: I would like the clock to stay on when the radio/cd player is off, anybody know of a radio that keeps the time after being shut off like OEM ?? might even settle for non 1.5 DIN..lol)...Is it worth for me to get an aftermarket unit or am I better off with the Infinity receiver ? If there is a difference, I also got another receiver by Infinity for Dodge OEM with the five equalizer bands versus the three (don't have the part number at hand...can check if there is confusion..it should say gold something on the unit).

Second, the speakers, is it worth replacing them and what would be the best to go with ? I really hear no distortion but it is getting warmer outside and I am getting in the mood to play a little...

Any help is appreciated as always...

PaulD
03-09-2006, 05:07 PM
if you get an aftermarket CD player, you will pretty much have to change your factory speakers - they are not designed for high power. You will not get much bass out of factory speakers or aftermarket speakers just stuffed into the same holes. 1.5 DIN headunits are pretty rare I guess ...... you might try a DIN headunit + 1/2 DIN EQ.

Phoenix1
03-09-2006, 07:43 PM
I was looking on Crutchfield.COM and their radios only seem to work with the Infinity system (at least when using the search option).
With regards to the speakers, I am pretty happy with the bass and sound quality, just was thinking if I can do better than what I have, especially in the mid and high frequency range but I am no expert at all and to me all speakers etc. look alike so I definitely need help..lol
How can I compare speakers, is there anything to look for that will tell me how good or bad a speaker would work for me ?

PaulD
03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
unfortunately, the way a speaker LOOKS is pretty much meaningless - what's important is the way they sound. You really need to listen to them, since speakers have the biggest difference in sound.

Add your comment to this topic!