Average Coolant Temperature

ern2112
03-09-2006, 11:09 AM
I am curious....what does your car average temp wise on the highway.....and also in the city.

What degree thermostat are you running and what coolant?

Something else....my car temp sensor is quite a bit off.....did not realize that untill I ran a scanner on it real time....and when the car shows as an example 210 on the dash gauge....it is really about 220-222 on the scanner. Bob....Rich....Gtp Dad......have you seen the same in your car? Is there a way to calibrate the gauge to the temp sensor? The sensor obviously does it's job...but the guage is off.

BNaylor
03-09-2006, 11:20 AM
I am curious....what does your car average temp wise on the highway.....and also in the city.

What degree thermostat are you running and what coolant?

Something else....my car temp sensor is quite a bit off.....did not realize that untill I ran a scanner on it real time....and when the car shows as an example 210 on the dash gauge....it is really about 220-222 on the scanner. Bob....Rich....Gtp Dad......have you seen the same in your car? Is there a way to calibrate the gauge to the temp sensor? The sensor obviously does it's job...but the guage is off.

I run a 160 degree thermostat with a DHP PCM and/or Intense PCM so that probably wouldn't help you on your data. I use Prestone Extended Life. You can start by making sure the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT) is calibrated properly. Use a digital multimeter. See chart below:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/ect.jpg

BTW - My gauge temperature never reads over 190 degrees but the fan turn on points are different from stock.

richtazz
03-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I run a standard 195 stat (car isn't modded, all stock) and Prestone EL coolant (in the yellow bottle, not the gray/silver bottle). I'm not a big fan of Dex-cool, so I eliminated it from both my vehicles (99 GT and the wife's 97 Trans Sport). I've never acually scanned my car to see actual temps vs guage indication, so I can't help you there. Guages have a range of error +/- 5% or so, that's why it's best to use a more accurate temp indicator for fine tuning.

mike561
03-09-2006, 11:31 AM
yesterday as i was topping off my coolant i watched the temp guage, mine barely gets up to 210, when it got near 210 the fans came one and went down about half way more. normal operation im geussing. thats just how mine works. im running with dexcool by the way.

ern2112
03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Ahhh. Ok Bob. I think I am going to put a 160 in mine too....has a 185 now. Just out of curiosity.....on the calibration of the ect.....does the dash sensor get it's data from another location other than on the top of the engine inlet by the thermostat? Far as I know...that's the one and only spot...right? Why would my scanner be dissagreeing with the dash gauge if it all data is coming from the same place? I would assume the scanner is correct...and the dash is wrong. That only leads me to believe that the actual gauge is not doing it's job...not the sensor. Does that theory make sense at all??

richtazz
03-09-2006, 11:56 AM
GM used to use two separate sensors, but our cars use one, and the dash guage get's it's signal from the PCM. I would believe the scanner before the dash guage, as the scanner is much more precise. If you live in a cold weather climate and drive your car in the winter, I'd advise against a 160 stat as heater output will be nil.

BNaylor
03-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Ahhh. Ok Bob. I think I am going to put a 160 in mine too....has a 185 now. Just out of curiosity.....on the calibration of the ect.....does the dash sensor get it's data from another location other than on the top of the engine inlet by the thermostat? Far as I know...that's the one and only spot...right? Why would my scanner be dissagreeing with the dash gauge if it all data is coming from the same place? I would assume the scanner is correct...and the dash is wrong. That only leads me to believe that the actual gauge is not doing it's job...not the sensor. Does that theory make sense at all??

Ernie, What brand scanner are you using, I recall the Acctron CP9145? I have a difference of 10 degrees between my Acctron scanner and IP gauge so that appears to be normal. The scanner is more accurate. The gauge is not really that accurate and may need calibration but it is not worth the hassle. However, there is no manual adjustment. If it is reading higher than the scanner then a resistor of a certain can be added to the gauge input. You wouldn't by chance know an electronics guru in your area. The temperature gauge and PCM get their readings from the same ECT sensor.

BTW - You might hold off on the 160 degree thermostat because it can give low engine temperature DTC error codes until it warms up a lot more (weatherwise).

ern2112
03-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Ernie, What brand scanner are you using, I recall the Acctron CP9145? I have a difference of 10 degrees between my Acctron scanner and IP gauge so that appears to be normal. The scanner is more accurate. The gauge is not really that accurate and may need calibration but it is not worth the hassle. However, there is no manual adjustment. If it is reading higher than the scanner then a resistor of a certain can be added to the gauge input. You wouldn't by chance know an electronics guru in your area. The temperature gauge and PCM get their readings from the same ECT sensor.

BTW - You might hold off on the 160 degree thermostat because it can give low engine temperature DTC error codes until it warms up a lot more (weatherwise).

Actron 9145.....here. Will hold off on the stat. I am running on the highway (outside temp is about 48 today) at 173-178 right now. When the temp gets up to 70....I am running 185-190 average on the highway. City...after coming off the highway......it will pop up a little....but will come back down...and stay down around the 190 mark.

Rich...it doesnt get REALLY cold here in the winter......this year it did drop to 0 once......but that is rare. The wind however......ooooof. I guess up by the big ponds you are used to that too!!!

I will ask the guys here at the plant if they have any ideas on the resistor value. They ARE gurus....they design our amps and speakers.

Thanks

Ernie

BNaylor
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Actron 9145.....here. Will hold off on the stat. I am running on the highway (outside temp is about 48 today) at 173-178 right now. When the temp gets up to 70....I am running 185-190 average on the highway. City...after coming off the highway......it will pop up a little....but will come back down...and stay down around the 190 mark.

Rich...it doesnt get REALLY cold here in the winter......this year it did drop to 0 once......but that is rare. The wind however......ooooof. I guess up by the big ponds you are used to that too!!!

I will ask the guys here at the plant if they have any ideas on the resistor value. They ARE gurus....they design our amps and speakers.

Thanks

Ernie

Sounds good Ernie. Just simple Ohms law principle. Good scanner for the cost. :bigthumb:

BTW - The IP gauge is not fed directly by the ECT sensor. The PCM feeds the signal out via a line driver. It is pin 10 of connector C1 which is one of the two big 80 pin connectors. The resistor mod should be applied at IP Cluster if you decide to go through with it. Good luck!

ern2112
03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Cool....thanks for the info guys. SOunds like my car is operating within a decent temp range

Add your comment to this topic!