Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 jimmy engine id question

munchrow
03-09-2006, 02:25 AM
Hello everyone, I just bought a 1995 jimmy slt with a dead engine for $500. I'm spending a lot of time searching and finding little info of use. It was manufactured in 09/94, has vin w. My question has to do with what 4.3's will work in this thing, searching junkyards they ask if it's side mounted plug wires on distributor or top mount, mine are side mount, but if i'm simply using the block and crank maybe heads from a replacement motor, will the existing epuipment on my "vin w" engine work on either from 93-95? Or preexisting threads I haven't found? any help is great, like being thrown a friggin bone.

herkyhawki
03-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Do you have OBD2 or OBD1? IS ECM on top of coolant overflow tank? Is there a crank position sensor near the bottom of the timing cover? Do you want to keep the ECM and wireing that is in your 95, or willing to change?

If you have crank sensor, you will need a block made in late-94 or newer. But you need heads made 95 and older. So if your keeping original ECM this limits you to finding a used engine from another 95 if you want the easiest swap. If you get a 96 or newer engine, you will need to change heads to fit the intake. If you get a 93 or older block, you will have to change crankshaft to fit the crank sensor, and will have to change timing cover. In 94 block you might get lucky and have a useable crankshaft, but will need new timing cover.

munchrow
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
wow, thanks. The underhood sticker says "obd1 compliant", ecm is on top of coolant overflow, I'm not sure about the crank sensor, I'll check later. I'd like to keep the existing wiring and ecm yes. So far its seeming easier to find a 95 or newer engine. So, from what I understand, the 95 and newer blocks are identical, meaning I could use the existing stuff I have( heads, intake, accessories, distributor, etc)? Changing heads is not a problem. I think I can get like a 96 complete locally for $600.

thanks for the quick reply.

munchrow
03-11-2006, 06:23 PM
bump

munchrow
03-13-2006, 03:03 AM
bump bump

herkyhawki
03-13-2006, 12:41 PM
So, from what I understand, the 95 and newer blocks are identical, meaning I could use the existing stuff I have( heads, intake, accessories, distributor, etc)? Changing heads is not a problem. .

The 95 & newer block Castings are identical. The short-block assembly may not be identical, but will work. If you change heads, use a new set of head bolts for a 96 or newer and use the 96&up torque + angle specs for tightening them.

Add your comment to this topic!