Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing Flasher Unit-'89 Le Sabre

mambo77
03-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Hello- Anyone know how to locate/replace the flasher unit on an '89 Le Sabre???

I removed the 7 mm screws under the steering column, but haven't been able to pop the plastic piece that goes under the steering column and under the dash...I think the flasher unit may be under there.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Alibi
03-12-2006, 05:46 PM
There should be two wingnut bolts holding each hush panel on towards the firewall. Unscrew those and You'll be in business as long as you've got all the bolts/torx screws off that are towards the steering wheel.

After that, look up to the left and right of your steering column and you should see a round, aluminum cylinder on each side. It will have a two prong v-shaped plastic connector on it that just slides off. The flasher unit itself is held in by a little metal clip that just slides off as well.

I don't remember which one is your flasher and which one is your hazards, but you might as well replace both of them at the same time since they are all of a couple bucks each and a bit of an annoyance to get at...or you could just do trial and error.

Good luck!

TrueLyFE
03-19-2006, 08:06 PM
If it's any help, on my '87, sitting in the seat and looking at the steering wheel, the unit on the left is the turn signal flasher and the one on the right is the hazard flasher.

mambo77
03-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Finally got the chance to spend get under the dash and got to the panels and replaced the flasher unit ($3.00). It was so much easier than I expected and I want to thank both of you for the very helpful advice!

Best wishes and smooth miles!

Mambo77

Add your comment to this topic!