Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

t-25 die...14b now...need tips

95-GST
03-09-2006, 12:16 AM
hi, lets go to basic first...3 days ago i start noticing some smoke coming out of my exhaust after a gear change...the next day I start noticing more smoke coming out....it was white-blueish smoke....and yesterday i had a very heavy cloud of smoke following me around...next thing I noticed was my boost gauge not reading and i couldn't hear my bov going off....when I stoped at home I checked my oil level which was very low...I checked my exhaust pipe and it had oil inside...then i checked my uicp and intake pipe which were full of oil as well........im on a tight budget right now and i must go back to school by monday...meaning that i must get my car fix by sunday......I was looking at some t-25 on ebay, but for a couple more dollars i might as well get a well ported 14b with little mods.....I would like to know what kind of problems i can encounter while doing this convertion....any input is well apreciated....:2cents:

Blackcrow64
03-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Go ahead and upgrade to the 14b, it will serve you much better than the t25 will. You shouldn't run into any problems as long as its been rebuilt or has lower miles on it. Another thing you need to look into would be the oil lines, they might be a little different from a t25 to a 14b but I can't remember for sure. It would be a very easy weekend swap job though. :)

95-GST
03-09-2006, 12:34 AM
thanks....how will the oil lines be any different?...size? lenght?....I guess i must check for shaft play on the 14b...since in most cases these are turbos with over 10 years old......is not suposse to have any movement at all right?...

Blackcrow64
03-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Any shaft play it does have should be minimal enough as to allow oil around the shaft.

This tech article should help you for installing a 14b on your car and show you what lines are different. Good luck.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92558

scottsee
03-09-2006, 02:04 AM
you need 4 new copper washers for the water lines, a 1g turbo drain tube gasket (not the pan), oil feed line & J pipe.

Other then that, I would suggest get an exhasut manny gasket, turbo-to-manny & o2 gasket. It's also alot easyer if you buy an extra turbo bolt and replace the turbo stud that attaches to the exhasut manifold from the turbo, it's a pain in the ass.

You can buy a fancy 2g install kit but all you reall need to do is switch the upper and lower water lines, file the holes on the return tube, and mount the new feed line.

www.vfaq.com Turbo section

95-GST
03-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I hope im not forgeting anything...
-oil feed line
-new water lines
-new oil return line
-1G J-pipe
-gaskets

what gaskets can be reuse, if any?.....can i reuse the water line?....can i just flip my licp and get away with no j-pipe???....if I decied to go and get a 2g turbo install kit, what should I look for in the kit?....thanks

SLoe
03-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Be very careful with used ebay turbos. I paid $125 + ship for a 14b that supposedly had 15k miles on it. When I got it the cracks in the turbine housing (which miraculously didn't show up in the pics), were so big I am surprised the turbine didn't fall out. I could even see daylight around the WG flap when it was closed. :( No way that bitch is gonna boost worth a crap.

95-GST
03-10-2006, 06:05 PM
...mmmhhh... i just got some money from taxes..... is this the big 16 g...or one of those wannabes??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TD05H-Big-16G-Evo-3-GT-Turbo-Turbocharger-EVO-III_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8044200 000QQrdZ1

Blackcrow64
03-10-2006, 06:20 PM
SSAutochrome... Its definetly a "wannabe". lol

95-GST
03-10-2006, 07:14 PM
mmmhh...the price was too good.....what should I look for when looking for big 16's?????

Add your comment to this topic!