Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Accord LX stereo question

JasonAccord98LX
07-02-2002, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know what the stock head unit in my 98 accord lx with the aftermarket honda cd player puts out in watts? Im guessing around 30 maximum to 4 channels. I'm curious because I am thinking about installing some better speakers and I wasn't sure if the stock head unit would be enough to power them. The speakers I am buying are around 2-30 watts RMS for the front, and 2-60 watts RMS for the rear. I am thinking that the stock head unit should be enough to power them but I'd thought I'd check with you fellas to be sure.

Also, the EX accords have a 6 speaker system--on my LX accord, only speaker holes and the grilles for the 5th and 6th speakers are there. Would it be possible to install a couple of speakers in these blank holes and connect them to the stock head unit? Are the wires in to connect some speakers to the head unit there somewhere? Thanks in advance.:D

GSteg
07-02-2002, 09:44 PM
they should put out about 10 watts RMS per channel. if you want to run speakers off your headunit, i suggest getting sensitive speakers, so they would play well without a lot of power. i recommend the infinity reference. u should find them online for less than at your local chainstore.

JasonAccord98LX
07-02-2002, 09:49 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I was thinking about buying these (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KvhvOIULOJt/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=52300&I=130TSA6985&o=p&a=1) for the rear and these (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KvhvOIULOJt/Prodview.asp?c=10&g=52000&p=10549&s=0) for the front. Those are fairly sensitive speakers, I think they will be allright.

So it only puts out 10 watts per channel? The stock speakers are rated for 15 watts RMS and 30 max. Are you sure thats right?

Anyone know anything about filling the extra holes? Also, does anyone know what size speakers come in the two holes on top of the dashboard in an accord EX? I know they are tweeters of some type--cant be much bigger than 2 or 3 inches.

GSteg
07-02-2002, 09:56 PM
stock headunits don't always put out the power that the speakers are rated for. those speakers should do.

if you want speaker for the 5th and 6th hole, look in the hole for wires that connect to speakers. they should have them there. heck..my dad's 1988 civic has them on the rear deck. search for the wires and if you do, i guess you can add speakers there too if you like.

JasonAccord98LX
07-02-2002, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info and quick responses, GSteg. Ill check for the wires and let you know what i find.:)

Additional comments from others are welcome too!!!

Oh, Gsteg, did you think those speakers are an allright choice? They were the best ones that would fit in my car. I could find any 3 way 6-1/2's from crutchfield that would fit.

Add your comment to this topic!