Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CEL on and Check Trans light blinking after low oil

sorefish
03-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I have a 1999 Rodeo LS, 88k miles, rebuilt engine at 65k (following frozen valve problem). My car is one of the ones that burns oil (about 1 quart every 1000 miles). I was on a road trip when, for the first time ever, I got the "low oil" light. I checked the oil - it was low, really low. I added two quarts and it still wasn't showing up on the dipstick. I added one more quart (3 total). Well the "low oil" light went off, but within about 40 hwy miles of the oil incident, my "check engine" light came on and my "check transmission" light started to blink. I noticed absolutely no change in the performance of my car. I checked the oil levels again, and I had added too much.

After sitting for a few days, I turned the car on and the lights were still on. I noticed no problems, so I drove 350 miles home. Still no problems...but the lights are still on.

I've read about other people with similar warning light issues and the mysterious p1870 code that people get and the potential need for replacement of the torque converter.

My question is this. Is there any possible way that overfilling my oil could have triggered these lights or caused problems that would trigger these lights? Or is it just really weird timing that my oil issues and this potential transmission issue occured at the same time?

Has anybody had these lights come on and been able to fix the problem by just replacing the transmission fluid?

marcre
03-08-2006, 02:41 PM
How much did you go over the full mark?

I would get the codes read ASAP. A blinking light can't be good. Being three QT's low isn't good either.

surferfletch
03-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Is the tranny fluid level correct. Have you ever serviced the tranny? How many miles on the tranny?

sorefish
03-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Well, I flushed the tranny at about 40,000 miles. I just did it again yesterday, the fluid levels were fine and, unfortunately, that didn't make my dummy lights go away.

As for the oil, It seems to be burning more than usual. When I changed it yesterday, I was about a quart low - after overfilling it by maybe half a quart just 500 miles ago.

I'm taking my car in for a tranny diagnostic....I've got a bad feeling about this.

surferfletch
03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
I feel your dread. Good luck!!

sorefish
03-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, I had the codes run. Its the infamous p8170. The tranny guy is telling me that they'll need to take apart my tranny and rebuild it. He's quoting me a price of $2500. #$%@!. Does that seem a little on the high side to anybody? The car can't be worth more than $5000. I paid only $7500 for it three years ago when it only had 33,000 miles. It's hard to justify spending that much money on a car when for just a little more I could get myself another one.

Ramblin Fever
03-10-2006, 08:58 PM
IS your tranny actually acting funny, though?

FWIW - I would get a few different opinions on the transmission, not just from one shop, and I'd have them drop the pan and inspect, not just read a code. And, most of all, do NOT take it to AAMCO, I believe they are the worst scammers - remember they're in for the MONEY of new transmissions.

I went to them years ago, on my Rodeo, when my range mode sensor was going out - didn't know what was happening and truck was just barely out of warranty. Didn't have the luxury of knowing internet forum sites were available for help at the time.

AAMCO dropped my tranny pan and said it was toast; pretty funny actually, when I gave in and took it to the dealer, because I didn't believe that a tranny with only 67k at the time should be "toast". Well, by pure luck, the dealership honored to fix it, I just simply asked figuring they'd say no - they too dropped the transmission pan at my request and nothing was found.

Transmission is still the original at 154k now, dealership put it back together, fixed the range mode sensor, replaced the filter and flushed the tranny, all for $0 versus the $2,300 AAMCO wanted.

Add your comment to this topic!