Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My 91 ninetyeight is a guzzler

Ryno1988
03-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi forum go-er's. I was just looking for some opinions here about my olds 98 and it's gas milege. Right now it's reading a terrible 12.8-13 mpg. I'm not too sure what the problem might be, it could be the fuel injectors being clogged and not spraying rite or something but im not totally sure what it is. If anyone has any tips for me all will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Ryan

Master01
03-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Clean the throtle body, air idle control valve. Change the air filter, fuel filter, O2 sensor. Check to see if the pvc valve is clean. Run a bottle of seafoam fuel injector cleaner through it. See what happends. Have you had a tune up lately? New plugs\wires? Did you check the computer for codes? This should give you a place to start. I have a 1988 delta 88 olds w\3.8L V6, and when I change the fuel filter and clean the throtle body and ocasionaly the O2 sensor my car is great on gas. Avg 30mpg on highway, 22-21mpg city.

psyonide
04-13-2006, 11:12 AM
I was getting pretty horrible milage in mine as well, and a roughness in the engine, I replace the ignition control module and coil pack, and all is better now. While your at that, you may as well get new plugs/wires, as they can boost as well and don't cost too much.

I replaced just the plugs and wires in my 89 chevy G20 van (5.7L V8) and it increased the milage from 11-12 to 16-17mpg.

-Greg C.

Add your comment to this topic!