Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

K&N replacment air filter

tfret
03-06-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried one of the performance replacment air filters like the K&N? I need to change ours before a long trip this weekend and I'm just wondering if the price difference is worth it or not. A normal filter is about $15, the K&N with all its performance claims and 10 year warranty is $40. It is direct replacment and drops right into the existing filter box. Has anyone had any experience with these?
Thanks

alphalanos
03-06-2006, 02:13 PM
I think most people are kind of split about K&N. Some love them because they flow more, but some hate them because they dont actually filter very well due to the high flow. I think of it this way: Would I rather save $100 on filters, or risk spending thousands on a new engine or car?

tfret
03-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I totally agree. I'm not interested in the short term performance gains if they come at a long term cost of lost engine longevity. But I don't mind paying the extra if the filtration is really there too. That's mainly why I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience I could pull from. Thanks for the reply.

Doug Tatham
03-06-2006, 04:01 PM
My experience is that they actually filter better. They aren't the free ticket that they appear to be though. You have to clean them with special cleaner and I believe you should apply a special oil to them so that they will attract small particles better. By the time you buy cleaner and oil, you spend nearly as much as a new filter.

Add your comment to this topic!