Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

steering colum off after plug change?

2kjimmy
03-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I Changed all my plugs in my 2000 jimmy and disconnected the steering colum for the #3 plug and on my test drive after i noticed the steering wheel was slightly of center when driving straight I thought it could only go on one way and I locked the wheel and kept the wheels straight ahead during the procedure maybe it was off before but i didn't notice? Does the steering colum only go on one way on all blazers??
Thanks

billibong
03-06-2006, 12:53 PM
If I remember correctly, the steering shaft is keyed on the blazers and jimmys so it can only go on one way. It could be that it was off a little prior to your changing the pita #3 plug, and that it just needs to be adjusted a little bit.
Try tightening the allen bolt at the top of the steering box, it should take out any play that the shaft has in it.
bill

OverBoardProject
03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Just letting you know before you change the plugs next time that you can do th job without pulling the columb

Here's the how to link
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=503231

MT-2500
03-06-2006, 05:40 PM
If I remember correctly, the steering shaft is keyed on the blazers and jimmys so it can only go on one way. It could be that it was off a little prior to your changing the pita #3 plug, and that it just needs to be adjusted a little bit.
Try tightening the allen bolt at the top of the steering box, it should take out any play that the shaft has in it.
bill

Be carefull there on that adjustment.
It very seldom needs adjusted and should only be done with the steering gear off of car if it does.
And remember He said it was off center not lose.
MT

leadalto
03-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Just letting you know before you change the plugs next time that you can do th job without pulling the columb

Here's the how to link
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=503231

The link which shows the #3 plug access without pulling the steering column is this one. It applies to a 93 S10-Blazer but could also apply to newer models.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=507211

OverBoardProject
03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
I believe that the same method works with all 4.3L motors. I might be wrong though, I just know that you don't really have to pull the columb for any plug changes on stock motors

billibong
03-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Be carefull there on that adjustment.
It very seldom needs adjusted and should only be done with the steering gear off of car if it does.
And remember He said it was off center not lose.
MT
You are once again correct MT. We need to be careful with the adjustment, although I have found that I needed to adjust mine and it brought the wheel back to (pretty close) center.
I don't know if mine was wierd, but it seemed to help quite a bit. And it also took some of the slop out of the steering, it was over an inch of play, now it is about 1/2" or less.

2kjimmy
03-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the info guys but I know i could have never gotton my universal in there without moving the colum maybe I need a better one. But no one thinks I could have put the colum back a little off?
Thanks
Chris

billibong
03-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Like I posted earlier. I am pretty sure the steering shaft is keyed to only fit one way. I don't think it can go on one or two splines off.

OverBoardProject
03-07-2006, 09:02 AM
I should have mentioned, again for next time, my mechanic friend finds it easier getting to the plugs through the wheel well with a long extension.

I don't think that he had to remove a tire, but I forget this part

dmbrisket 51
03-07-2006, 12:33 PM
the colums are keyed, it needs an alignment

2kjimmy
03-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Thats what i figured had an alighnment last year but i guess the toe is out again! It just took doing the plug change for me wake up and notice it
Thanks guys,
Chris

dmbrisket 51
03-07-2006, 01:58 PM
toe should be checked yearly and caster camber every other, and now days you need a 4 wheel alignment, not just a toe and go like the old days

Add your comment to this topic!