Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First time Jeep owner. Top off and rain question.

XtremeXP
03-05-2006, 08:49 PM
I just recently purchased a 2000 Jeep wrangler sport with a hard top. Now that the weather is getting nice here in GA I'm wanting to take the top off to get the full enjoyment of the Jeep. My question is does the rain hurt the interior if it's parked out in the open? I've read were it says the interior is water resistant it has the cloth seats in it. How has some of yalls jeeps held up to the rain and should I at least get a bikini top or other top to give some protection in the rain?

Ray H
03-06-2006, 06:11 AM
I just recently purchased a 2000 Jeep wrangler sport with a hard top. Now that the weather is getting nice here in GA I'm wanting to take the top off to get the full enjoyment of the Jeep. My question is does the rain hurt the interior if it's parked out in the open? I've read were it says the interior is water resistant it has the cloth seats in it. How has some of yalls jeeps held up to the rain and should I at least get a bikini top or other top to give some protection in the rain?

Wrangler seats arent any different than most car seats, you get them wet, they stay wet, they eventual stink and rot. The electronics in the dash are basically the same as any car, it gets wet, the dash starts doing funny things, it quits working. Wet carpet issues are easy to fix though, take it out and pull the drain plugs. Dont get me wrong, Jeeps are fairly resistant to weather but really no more than any car.
My YJ spends a good deal of the summer topless and has been caught in the rain a few times. I havent experienced any problems so far, except a wet a$$. The dash stays pretty dry while you are moving but I usually carry a tarp with me to throw over the windshield and dash while parked in the rain. Ive also got a set of waterproof seat covers that slip over the seats and do a decent job of keeping them dry. I think they're called Seatectors or something like that. I removed the carpet ages ago and Hurculined the interior to stop any rust issues. I also have a safari top that I usually put on and take off several times during the summer depending on my mood.
Bottom line, if you want to keep your interior nice, get a safari or bikini top. If you go topless for any stretch of time, you WILL eventually get caught, if you arent prepared, you WILL have a soggy mess to clean up.

dfmote
03-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Get neopreen (sp) seat covers and take the plugs outta the pans if it rains when you get to where you are going that is. Dont leave em out and drive thru water unless you want more water inside. You can also take the carpeting out to dry. I wouldnt want my Jeep getting soaken wet on the inside.

At least get you a bikini top for emergencies. Imagine being out in a hail storm. That craps gonna hurt.

Ray H
03-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Get neopreen (sp) seat covers .

Yes Neoprene is an option that I forgot to mention.
I dont personally like the Neoprene covers because they tend to get hot and sweaty in the summer, they stink and fade and are expensive. They do keep the seat dry but when you get in after a downpour, your arse still gets wet.
I use something similar to these
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006903/showCustom-0/p-2006903/N-111+10202+600007696/c-10102/TID-0820
They slip on and off easily so you can put them on for rain, when its over remove them so your butt does get soaked, shake them off and shove them under the seat for future use. They clean up by simply hosing them off and they are mucho cheaper than Neoprene.
The Neoprene do look cool though.

XtremeXP
03-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Ok guys thanks for the comments and suggestions they are much appreciated.

o|||||||o
03-13-2006, 10:13 AM
There always is the option of buying a soft top or a bikini / duster / windjammer combo. That isn't bad to run in the warmer months.

wilwith1l
03-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Just a few thoughts.....
I live in the south, so my doors have been in my living room for a over month.
If my seat gets wet, it dries in the afternoon.
Make sure you RainX the inside of your windshield, and
Keep your defrost on high in the rain.
Gettin cought(w/ the top off) is part of being a jeeper.

Add your comment to this topic!