Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Passport. Code P0405?. Can this affect transmission?

Skellies
03-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I did a test and received 2 codes, both the same, P0405 EGR Valve. According to the Haynes repair manual it lists it as EGR sensor circuit, low voltage.

Do I have to replace the EGR valve $188.00 at Autozone. Or is a cleaning of the EGR valve necessary. Also can this (the EGR problem) effect my tranny shifting. Tranny is shifting hard, and staying in gear to long. Had tranny overhauled 2 months ago because of same problem. Was fixed for a while but now its starting to creep up again. Fluids are at normal levels. I normally drive in regular gears not winter drive.

Cant seem to get this tranny problem resolved. Thanks for any help.

Ramblin Fever
03-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Just went through all of this myself, except I didn't have to have my tranny overhauled.

I do have a different year then yours so there are some things you should try first.

1) do NOT replace your EGR valve, simply refer to the sticky thread at the top of the forum 98+yrs FAQ'S for directions on cleaning the EGR system.

2) Sometimes you'll have to clean the EGR twice, as they tend to get real sticky on the 98+yrs and this is VERY common for the 2nd generation Rodeo's.

I had the same scenerio on my '97 Rodeo, only I was getting the P0401 code, "EGR insufficient flow". Cleaned my EGR Valve 3 times (not a common problem on the 93-97 yrs, in fact it's quite rare).

By the 4th time the CEL came on, truck was idling, running, and shifting strange, at 150k figured it was time to just throw in some new O2 Sensors and no sooner did I think that, that it finally threw the code for the front passanger side O2.

Replaced all 4 O2's, still original EGR valve, and truck is SUPER smooth!

Course there was a lot of other maintenance involved, including all new fluids/filters, belts, hoses, waterpump, etc.

But, whenever the CEL is on your truck WILL act strange.

Clean the EGR valve, disconnecting your battery at the same time, wait at least 30min, then reconnect your battery. If in a week or so, the CEL comes on again, same code, reclean the EGR valve and see how far that takes you.

Don't replace your O2's until a code actually pops up for that - BUT, don't be surprized if they're linked in the long run. Mine were.

dave8105
03-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Ok, I don't know what codes my truck is throwing out, but here are the problems. Idles rough, stalls when idleing, and will also stall when stopped at a light. The CEL is on. Someties it blinks, sometimes it doesn't. I took the EGR off last night and tried to clean it. THe pintle was moving very easily. The cleaner I used was NAPA carb/choke cleaner. It was all I could find at the time of need. Sprayed down the vaccume hole while covering the exhaust. Emptied the can while the truck was running. This did nothing. I can feel the suction with my finger coming out of the hole. Does this mean my problem is not at the EGR? IMG maybe? I tried looking for posts about the this but I can't get the search to work right. (it comes up with nothing when I look up EGR). What can I do now?

Canucklehead
03-09-2006, 07:49 AM
What can I do now?Get the codes read. Go to AutoZone (or your local parts monkeys) and get them to plug in their OBD2 reader, most places will do it for free. Once you get the codes, go here (http://www.troublecodes.net/isuzu/iszuobd2.shtml) to tell what the code stands for.

FWIW though, your symptoms sound like a bad IMG.

Ramblin Fever
03-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Agree with Canuklehead - your symptoms sound like a bad Intake manifold gasket, not the EGR.

club977
03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Ok, I don't know what codes my truck is throwing out, but here are the problems. Idles rough, stalls when idleing, and will also stall when stopped at a light. The CEL is on. Someties it blinks, sometimes it doesn't. I took the EGR off last night and tried to clean it. THe pintle was moving very easily. The cleaner I used was NAPA carb/choke cleaner. It was all I could find at the time of need. Sprayed down the vaccume hole while covering the exhaust. Emptied the can while the truck was running. This did nothing. I can feel the suction with my finger coming out of the hole. Does this mean my problem is not at the EGR? IMG maybe? I tried looking for posts about the this but I can't get the search to work right. (it comes up with nothing when I look up EGR). What can I do now?

You definately have the IMG problem. What year is the vehicle and are you the first or second owner? You might still be under warranty.

dave8105
03-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I had a sinking suspicion it was the IMG, but on a hope and a prayer was wishing it was the EGR. I am the second owner. It's a 2000. Bought it with 28,000 miles on it, I'm at 105,000 now. Its been in and out of the garage for 100's of things. When I got it I got the Honda Certified warranty. That was up at 100,000 miles. Granted, this is a continuing problem from before the warranty ended, but I filed a lemon law claim against Honda for an undisclosed amount of money and won. So now I can't really go back to the warranty to get it fixed for free anymore. I know for a fact the IMG has been replaced twice so far since I have had it. Also had both C.Converts replaced. A few new EGR's, New top half of the motor. This thing has taken me to hell and back, but I like it. I'll call and get the gasket ordered, run up to Autozone to get the codes pulled (just to make sure), and see how much its going to set me back. Ugh, I just had to get my rear axle seals replaces and rear brakes. I'm tired of this.

Thanks for the input fellas. I always know where to go with a problem!!

Ramblin Fever
03-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Good grief, I'm glad you still have the patience to put up with it. I'd be on the verge of selling out, after replacing a top half of a motor with less then 100k

dave8105
03-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Ok, pulled these codes,
P1340
P0300B
P0131.

Do I need new plugs? Is this making the CEL flash and not letting it idle? Denso Plugs if thats wht is needed, right?

Add your comment to this topic!